From: Fred McKenzie <fmmck@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Argus "C3" & Flash
From: Fred McKenzie <fmmck@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 16:20:09 -0400
In article<fmmck-42D31D.12272830102017@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>,
 Fred McKenzie<fmmck@aol.com> wrote:

> In article <ot5mts$ip0$1@dont-email.me>,
>  John Turco<jtur@concentric.net> wrote:
>
> > <Note: This may not be the most appropriate Usenet photography
> > newsgroup, to post my question...however, it's the most active one, by far.>
> >
> > I have an old Argus "C3" 35mm film camera. Is there any way that I could
> > use an electronic flash unit, with it?
> >
> > Thanks, in advance!
>
> John-
>
> I used electronic flash with my Argus C3 back in the 60's.  You should
> find a C3-to-PC connector adapter if you search for it.
>
> As I recall, it was X-sync but the contact closure was early in the
> exposure, so M-sync worked for 1/25 Second shutter speed.
>
> Reference <http://www.cameramanuals.org/argus/argus_c-3.pdf>, page 17.

After reading some of the other references, I note that some early C3's
may not have been X-sync.  I have at least 3 stashed away including a
Matchmatic model.  All of mine are X-sync.  You will have to try yours
to see.  It may be possible to open the camera back and look through the
the lens to see if you can see the flash through it.

The flash adapters are not as common as they used to be!  The only one I
found was an adapter cable on E-Bay:

<https://www.ebay.com/itm/5FT-COIL-SYNC-CORD-FOR-ARGUS-C-3-Harry-Pott...
amera-IN-ORIG-BOX/172023474923>

Fred