Subject: Re: Windows 10. Horrible!
From: sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 06:30:44 -0700
On 10/30/2017 1:34 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 30/10/2017 07:17, Rich A wrote:
>> Wow!  Didn't know it had so many issues!  Made a horrific mess of
>> running multiple different displays (even with specific video card
>> drivers), hides tons of stuff that I normally use (like control
>> panel). Boxes the active desktop into a frame INSIDE the main computer
>> screen, so it's smaller.  I'm sure there is a way around it, but I
>> couldn't be bothered. There are myriad issues with it, which I found
>> out looking up problems online.  Windows 8.1 is FAR better, IMO.
>
> Like any new program or tool, you need to spend some time learning how
> to use Windows-10 to best suit yourself.  You can easily add Control
> Panel to the start menu, if you wish (although the Control Panel is
> gradually being phased out).  I've never seen the "active desktop boxed
> in a frame" on any of my Win-10 systems, so I can't help you there.  It
> runs all my photo programs without problem - Paint Shop Pro 9 & X,
> GeoSetter, PIE Studio, JPEG Crop, etc. etc. using dual displays without
> any issues.
>
> If you prefer a Windows-7 start menu style, try the free Classic Shell:
>
>    http://www.classicshell.net/

Windows 10 solves many issues with Windows 8.1. Classic Shell is a great
addition, though you need to keep it updated because Windows 10 updates
will often break it. I was hesitant to take the free upgrade from
Windows 7 to Windows 10, but very glad I did it on all my machines. Even
paid for a couple of used Windows 7 licenses so I could upgrade from XP
to 7 and then take the free upgrade to 10.