From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Inca Trail and Battery Charging
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 07:57:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 13:49:53 UTC, nospam  wrote:

> > > photographer means picture taker.
> >
> > Not to those that know the difference.
>
> there is no difference.

There is for most as with all professions. Someone that hands yuo a plaster for a cut is NOT classed
as a doctor or a nurse just because they handed yuo something medical. Here a grease moneky that
repairs yuor car may call himslef an engineer but engineers have to have a formal qualification.
Remmebr that monkey that took the photogrphy of himslef woukld you hire him as a photographer.

> everyone who takes a photo, no matter how good or bad it may be, no
> matter what the purpose of the photo is for, is a photographer,

Not in most peoples eyes they aren;t they are taking photos, maybe you can't tell the differnce
perhaps that's it.

>by
> definition. obviously, some photographers are better than others, but
> they are *all* photographers.

Perhaps by you, but I wouldn't call the monkey a photographer.

Just because I trotted to the bus this morning I do NOT consider myself an athelete.
I can add up 1+1 even in my head does that make me a mathematician ?

I can cook a ready meal in the microwave but I don't consider myself a cook or a chef.

> > But if you consider all photos to be snaps and those that take selfies
> > portrait artists, then I'm an  athelete .
>
> that's not what i said.

pretty close to it.

> > > bring spare batteries before you go, along with hundreds of rolls of
> > > film.
> >
> > You should take what you need.
>
> how do you know how much that is going to be? you don't.

I could give a good estimate.
When I go to a gig I know I can do about 84 mins of live video with my single battery in my EOS 3M.
I know that for the average 40 mins set I can easily fit onto a 8BG card that's why I tend to have a
16GB installed and a spare 4 or 8 GB in my jeans watch pocket.

> it's better to have extra that goes unused than not enough and miss
> opportunities.

yes I know but that doesn;t mean I have to go out and buy 100 SD cards incase I record more than I
expect.

> > > don't blame nikon/canon for being unprepared.
> >
> > I didn't, but don;t expect to buy the batteries you want at the top of machu
> > picchu because there isn't one, there isnlt a michelin restaurant either.
>
> that's why you prepare ahead of time.

So charge your batteries and/or have spares.
You can still buy film in most chemists drug stores here, even some tobbaconists but few will be
able to sell you a battery for your DLSR should you drop it over the cliffs.