From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Windows 10. Horrible!
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 10:16:38 -0400
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

| trouble is you can't keep XP updated withoutn moving on past XP to windows
10.
| Sitting at a machine running XP with it's latest updates isn't protection
that is up to date.

  Which comes full circle to where this started:
Security updates are nice, but only a small part
of computer security. The latest version of Windows
is far less safe than careful use of an old version.

  Our own tax dollars are being spent by the NSA
to figure out new 0-day hacks. Then outside
hackers hack into the NSA and make them public.
Federal tax dollars are funding the likes of WannaCry.
It's not oging to get better. There's a lot of money
involved. At some point it may be that *all*
money is involved. (Nospam thinks he's going to
be safe by letting Apple or Google handle his
finances.)

  The most basic issue is not about buying
whatever Microsoft or Apple say you need this
year. The most basic issue is expressed by David
Taylor's position: People want functionality and
convenience with no risk and zero effort. We
want to buy stuff online, do our banking, adjust
our home thermometer.... The "Internet of Things"
is becoming a new, vast area of security risks,
with things like hackable front door locks. Why
are they hackable? Because people think it's
clever to unlock your house from your cellphone.
Tech-mania is out of control. We've already created
a dangerously brittle society, dependent on insecure
computing, and there's no sign of letup.

  On the Internet side, Internet businesses want
a smooth way to sell to you. And ad-supported
companies want an easy way to spy on you.
No one wants even a tiny bit of effort to be
involved. It's denial on a massive scale. The main
reason young people have switched to Macs is
because they believe they can ignore security
issues if they have a Mac. They don't even
consider whether they'll live online. That's a given.
They just want to know how to do it without having
to think. But increasingly there's money to be made
by hacking them.

   The answer is very simple, undeniable, and
yet we're all in denial: There's no security possible
online as long as executable code is supported.
If webpages are HTML and CSS it can be made safe.
Those are just graphical  layout instructions. But
we want the convenience of executable code running
in the browser and databases linked on the server
side. No one's happy with the Internet anymore.
We want interactive TV with unlimited fulfillment
of impulses.

  You go to buy a widget and you're sent to a
dozen websites -- to process your credit card,
get fonts, show you ads, spy on you... Many of
those sites link you to other sites. Hackers buying
ads has become a common way to attack your
computer. The webpage you see is now actually
a software program, with input from dozens of actors
that you not only never visited. You've never even
heard of them. And none of them cares very much
about your security.
  That scenario is actually fairly recent. The past
couple of years. It's changing very fast. Webpages
used to be a few KB of read-only data and security
meant that data was restricted to the connection
between you and the website you were visiting.
(Cookies were designed not to be readable by 3rd
parties. That was considered common sense at the
time.) Now you're in a demolition derby and you got
anti-lock brakes by buying Windows 10. Or maybe
you got special bumpers and airbags by buying a Mac.
But the context is still a demolition derby.