Subject: Re: Inca Trail and Battery Charging
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 13:35:00 -0400
<011120170909176705%nospam@nospam.invalid> <otd0ad0af1@news4.newsguy.com>
<be91a47b-b7c3-46d1-ac7c-91ce5e249cd0@googlegroups.com>
On 11/2/2017 6:50 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 17:31:00 UTC, PeterN  wrote:
>> On 11/1/2017 9:09 AM, nospam wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> meanwhile, those with digital cameras can shoot several thousand photos
>>> on a memory card the size of a postage stamp, and in some cases, on a
>>> single battery charge.
>>>

>> I suppose you know Which camera they use, and whether they shoot only in
>> RAW. Good quality high capacity cards are not cheap. I would find out at
>> which points there are provisions for back ups to the cloud. I would get
>> no higher capacity cards than they estimate will be shooting in one day,
>> + a fudge factor of 25%. Bring as many cards, as days they will be away
>> from a place where they can backup to the cloud.
>
> But there isn't a card on the market that will record if there's no power to them or the camera.
So even buying a billion 256GB cards wonlt get you any photos without power, which is why the OP was
asking about charging.
> No power no photos it's a simple as that.

Places to upload to the cloud prescriptively have power to recharge the
batteries.

>> As I see it power for batteries is the biggest problem.
>
> Yep the OP realised that too.
>
>> Depending on
>> their camera's battery usage, figure battery usage per day, and bring
>> bring enough batteries to get them to the charging station furthest from
>> the preceding station. While there is a fair amount of  planning
>> involved. it is worth doing so.
>
> Yep which is why the OP was asking about charging and not about how many and what size memory
cards to take.

> This is one of the very few advantages of having a camera that takes common size batteries such as
AA AAA, not only are you more likely to find a local shop selling AAs than  the lastest DLSR
decidated battery there's also the  chance that someone might have a spare set to lend you.

--
PeterN