From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Windows 10. Horrible!
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 14:01:38 -0400
References: <8f933433-4590-4ce1-8633-43fef8eac186@googlegroups.com> <ota72v$a08$1@dont-email.me> <otaa0u01gl1@news4.newsguy.com> <MPG.34630c823612378998cef3@news.supernews.com> <otbah6$10c3$1@gioia.aioe.org> <otbuml$qkc$1@dont-email.me> <otchr5$v4h$1@gioia.aioe.org> <otcslc$do7$1@dont-email.me> <85a3c925-23ef-4c09-b30a-9c1bfbbf2292@googlegroups.com> <otf9e1$1kd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <bd0d2f62-eacf-4dc4-ab83-b46e6398757a@googlegroups.com> <otfkge$ppg$1@gioia.aioe.org>
In article <otfkge$ppg$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>   Long story short, WannaCry was just a single bug
> that happened to be patched in Win10.

which means that win10 is *more* secure than winxp, exactly the
*opposite* of what you've been babbling about.

> But the
> way it attacked was through SMB -- networking
> functionality. For anyone not on a corporate network
> it doesn't need to be a risk at all.

wannacry is just one example of many.

>   It still comes back to the same thing: As long
> as you allow remote software to run code on your
> machine, there's no possiblity of security. The
> only question is when and how you'll be compromised.

unless you write *all* of your own software *and* the operating system
itself, using a compiler you also wrote, then you could be compromised.

how do you really know that the compiler isn't adding secret back doors
to what it's generating?

oh, design and fab your own chips too. the hardware could have some
'additional functionality' you might not want.

> | > There's a lot of money
> | > involved. At some point it may be that *all*
> | > money is involved.
> |
> | I doubt that.
> |
>    Personally I still mail checks and walk to the bank,
> but I know a lot of people who do nearly everything
> electronically. Direct deposit, automatic withdrawal,
> credit cards and debit cards to buy food and other
> necessities. That's all going over computer networks
> and being stored in online databases.

the checks you mailed are scanned and then destroyed by the bank, with
the images stored in online databases.

the envelopes you mailed are scanned by the us postal service and also
stored in a database.

> Gas pump,
> ATM and supermarket checkout skimmers, malware
> installed through online ads.... That's high-level,
> professional stuff because there's a lot of money
> to be made. It's a far cry from the teenage prank
> malware of the 90s.

as i said before, apple/android pay is immune to skimmers or merchants
being hacked.

you refuse to learn.

> | >(Nospam thinks he's going to
> | > be safe by letting Apple or Google handle his
> | > finances.)
> |
> | far safer than letting XP handle it.
> |
>     Good luck with that. Your attitude is exactly
> what the crooks (and the companies that want
> to sell you a "wallet") want you to think.

further evidence that you haven't any clue whatsofuckingever about how
apple/android pay works.

nobody is being sold a 'wallet'.

> | > want to buy stuff online, do our banking, adjust
> | > our home thermometer.... The "Internet of Things"
> | > is becoming a new,
> |
> | I know there's a course on the subject running outside my office.
> | It's not realyl a computer thing it about embeded devices rather than the
> computer and its OS.
> |

>   Not really a computer thing?! IoT is about Internet-
> connected devices. Computer devices. Networked devices.
> Using internal computers. Your iPhone talks to your front
> door lock. Your car keys talk to your car. Once you've
> done that, it can be hacked. Those have been hacked.

anything can be hacked.

call a locksmith and watch how easily he can pick the lock on your
front or back door, or just use a bump key yourself. it's child's play.

or just smash a window and climb in that way.

locks keep out the honest. they do nothing to stop those with ill
intent.

> As more and more things become unnecessarily automated
> and computerized, it becomes increasingly easy to break
> things.

more difficult, you mean.

it's not possible to bump key a lock that has no physical key, and
cracking the encryption is *significantly* more difficult.

or as i said, just throw a rock through the window.

> World War 3 might just start with a cyberattack
> that causes all driverless cars to accelerate uncontrollably,
> killing millions in seconds and leaving the national infrastructure
> unusable. And why? It's all such unnecessary idiocy.

the only idiocy is what you keep spewing.