From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Inca Trail and Battery Charging
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 06:31:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Thursday, 2 November 2017 17:35:44 UTC, PeterN  wrote:
> On 11/2/2017 6:50 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 17:31:00 UTC, PeterN  wrote:
> >> On 11/1/2017 9:09 AM, nospam wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> I suppose you know Which camera they use, and whether they shoot only in
> >> RAW. Good quality high capacity cards are not cheap. I would find out at
> >> which points there are provisions for back ups to the cloud. I would get
> >> no higher capacity cards than they estimate will be shooting in one day,
> >> + a fudge factor of 25%. Bring as many cards, as days they will be away
> >> from a place where they can backup to the cloud.
> >
> > But there isn't a card on the market that will record if there's no power to them or the camera.
So even buying a billion 256GB cards wonlt get you any photos without power, which is why the OP was
asking about charging.
> > No power no photos it's a simple as that.
> >
> Places to upload to the cloud prescriptively have power to recharge the
> batteries.

But you won't find such a place at the top of machu picchu that is the point.
The incas did not supply USB charging ports unfortunalty.
You might be lucky and get 3 or 4 G but don;t expect the same sort of upload/download speeds you get
in large cities.
You'll also be suprised to find that there's no mcdonalds at the top of machu picchu.

> >> As I see it power for batteries is the biggest problem.
> >
> > Yep the OP realised that too.
> >
> >> Depending on
> >> their camera's battery usage, figure battery usage per day, and bring
> >> bring enough batteries to get them to the charging station furthest from
> >> the preceding station. While there is a fair amount of  planning
> >> involved. it is worth doing so.
> >
> > Yep which is why the OP was asking about charging and not about how many and what size memory
cards to take.

> > This is one of the very few advantages of having a camera that takes common size batteries such
as AA AAA, not only are you more likely to find a local shop selling AAs than  the lastest DLSR
decidated battery there's also the  chance that someone might have a spare set to lend you.