From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Windows 10. Horrible!
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 09:56:43 -0400
References: <8f933433-4590-4ce1-8633-43fef8eac186@googlegroups.com> <ota72v$a08$1@dont-email.me> <otaa0u01gl1@news4.newsguy.com> <MPG.34630c823612378998cef3@news.supernews.com> <otbah6$10c3$1@gioia.aioe.org> <otbuml$qkc$1@dont-email.me> <otchr5$v4h$1@gioia.aioe.org> <otcslc$do7$1@dont-email.me> <85a3c925-23ef-4c09-b30a-9c1bfbbf2292@googlegroups.com> <otf9e1$1kd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <bd0d2f62-eacf-4dc4-ab83-b46e6398757a@googlegroups.com> <otfkge$ppg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b699e45b-faea-48ac-b84f-692b8f9d638a@googlegroups.com>
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

>   Long story short, WannaCry was just a single bug
> that happened to be patched in Win10.

| Just happened to be patched how did that happen, fairy dust in the air ?

  You're missing the point. David gave a real example
of a bug that Win10 is protected from. But it's
only one bug of thousands in a complex "ecosystem".
You're indulging in twisting valid facts into invalid
cherry picking.

>But the
> way it attacked was through SMB -- networking
> functionality. For anyone not on a corporate network
> it doesn't need to be a risk at all.

| windows computers are on corporate networks you know.

  I don't know about you but my compter isn't.
I've disabled networking functions and blocked
risky ports. By networking I don't mean connecting
to the Internet. I mean being part of a network,
with things like remote running of software, file
sharing, etc.
   The corporate model is like a house with no
front door lock but a lock on every cabinet and
door inside. The network is trused. The person
using the computer is not. The SOHo model is
the opposite. The person using the computer is
trusted but the Internet is not. Windows is designed
to be a corporate workstation. Highly risky networking
functionality that most people don't need is enabled
by default.

| And why attack SMB ?

Look it up. I already explained it.

| So why weren't Macs compromised ?

  Macs are safer because Apple closely controls the
system. Macs are the AOL of computers. You get
less control but in exchange you get more stability
and security without needing to understand it. Macs
are also a very small minority of computers. Big with
phones, but almost non-existent in places like
hospitals and police depts and other corporate locations
being attacked.
  But be patient. Macs will get their chance, I'm sure.

| So it wasn't the NSA then was it.

  I gave you 5 links. But all you want to do is use
the data to argue about how Macs are better. I'm
not going to join your mudfest.

> but I know a lot of people who do nearly everything
> electronically. Direct deposit, automatic withdrawal,
> credit cards and debit cards to buy food and other
> necessities.

| I do, but not using windows.

  That's good. Stick with Macs. If you can't be bothered
to understand security then Macs are a much safer
option. If you want to enjoy e-conveniences, services
and shopping without worry then Macs and iPhones are
the only way to do it. At least for now.

  So why are you worrying about me using Windows?
The AppleSeed doth protest too much?