Subject: Re: Inca Trail and Battery Charging
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 08:12:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 9:31:11 AM UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 November 2017 17:35:44 UTC, PeterN  wrote:
> >
> > Places to upload to the cloud prescriptively have power to
> > recharge the batteries.
>
> But you won't find such a place at the top of machu picchu that is the point.

As of a ~decade ago, the only establishment at the top was
the Sanctuary Lodge.  There's been attempts to close it, but
its reportedly still open:

<https://www.belmond.com/hotels/south-america/peru/machu-picchu/belmo...

I was able to find a simple room rate; a mere $650/night (+10% tax)
which includes WiFi, but not breakfast.  The same room with full
board is $1100/night (after the 10% tax) which is why most visitors
choose instead to stay elsewhere (down in Aguas Calientes).

> You might be lucky ... but don't expect the same sort of
> upload/download speeds you get in large cities.

WiFi is technically available, but the level of bandwidth
needed for a significant data dump is the risk, and this
IMO includes the town of Aguas Calientes.  Their only land
connection to the outside world is the train line and their
relevant communication lines are IMO probably along the same
train route.  The rail has had semi-regular seasonal breaks
in service from spring floods washing out a section, which
would likely also take out their communication too, although
when this does happen, the tourism is suspended.  Even so,
when you have 5,000 tourists arriving back at their hotels
each evening, the network is going to get crunched.

As such, I'd be reluctant to assume that I'd be readily able
to data dump from cards at this stop.  Sure, one may get
lucky, but for planning purposes, I'd assume nothing more
optimistic than having the first reasonably reliable backup
opportunity (via an Internet Kiosk) probably won't be until
returning back to Cuzco...

> You'll also be suprised to find that there's no mcdonalds
> at the top of machu picchu.

Pragmatically, the trekking groups enter via the Sun Gate
and then stay for most of the day (touring the site) before
catching a bus for the half hour ride down the switchbacks
to Aguas Calientes.

The implications here are that one will need to have +1 more
day's worth of {power & memory cards} after the days on the
trail before getting to a hotel to check in & having the
opportunity for a systems 'recover' (be this power and/or data).
And since MP is a journey highlight, it can be expected to
be a day with a much higher demand for photo taking.

-hh