Subject: Re: Inca Trail and Battery Charging
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 10:51:15 -0400
<011120170909176705%nospam@nospam.invalid> <otd0ad0af1@news4.newsguy.com>
<07927f9e-629a-4ae1-8670-c4c5970d2352@googlegroups.com>
<otfklq028fb@news4.newsguy.com>
<3d5eb854-9790-439a-9558-0de85ae3fffe@googlegroups.com>
<oti7gn0mdo@news7.newsguy.com>
<20528f10-ce40-4aa8-9353-6a4b090b9e1d@googlegroups.com>
On 11/3/2017 2:38 PM, -hh wrote:
> On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 1:04:24 PM UTC-4, PeterN wrote:
>>>
>>> But of course!

>>> The latter is close enough to my Canon's data consumption rate ... and
>>> the 192GB in CF cards which I paid only (yes, got lucky) $100 for affords
>>> over 5,000 exposures (in RAW+JPG).
>>
>> You did indeed get lucky.
>
> Agreed, and in looking at today's prices, my 2016 purchases were a steal.
>
> FWIW, it also included three 64GB SDXC cards (SanDisk 64GB Extreme
> UHS-I Class 10) for $20 each.
>
>>   Yes I know there are cheaper cards, but I have used only the Lexar
>> or Sandisk.
>
> That's where I'm at now...plus I also buy only from B&H, to
> minimize counterfeit risks.  My last 'off brand' were some
> Delkin's in 2012 (was $37 for 16GB = ~$2.30/GB)

I used to deal only with B&H and a local store, Koh's. That started when
I was pricing a lens, and he was several hundred less than anybody else.
When I asked him if it was gray market, he said no, it was used. That
lens could have passed for new. Jimmy though is only authorized to sell
new Nikon P&S & accessories. He recently retired. Over the last two
years I developed a relationship with Hunts. I no deal only with them
and B&H. There have been several times when both have advised me not to
purchase an item, although it cost them a sale, that would have amounted
to several hundred dollars.

<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD71AYQ/ref=as_at/?creativeASIN...

<https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&ci=1097&a...

<https://camelcamelcamel.com/SanDisk-Extreme-CompactFlash-Memory-SDCF...

>>> [...]
>
>> If I want to do panos, could be significantly more, depending on the scene.
>
> Yes, there's always more considerations and elements to consider
> building into one's contingency plans.  The good news is that
> memory pricing isn't one that still costs an arm & leg.

For the D800 the lower speed CF cards are fine. The SD card throughput
in the camera is so slow that it almost doesn't matter. However, to
avoid confusion I get the higher speed SD cards, because my D500 can use
the higher speed. I like the availability of the higher speed, and the
cost difference is small, compared to all the other costs involved.

I was recently checking the MTBF, and came across this:
<https://www.amtron.com/cfcard.htm>
Prices are significantly higher. e.g. 16 GB CF card 299.99. Looking at
the specs, I doubt if my photography would ever require those
temperature tolerances.

--
PeterN