Subject: Re: Geotagging app
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 17:17:44 -0400
On 2017-11-04 10:55, PeterN wrote:
> On 11/3/2017 7:00 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
>>> altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
>>> RAWs?
>>
>> Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx,
>> .log (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.  But do check that it
>> supports altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.
>>
>> Google Play is the source.
>> This looks promising:
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.ge...
>>

>> I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not
>> available for Android.
>>

>>> I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
>>> altitude.
>>
>> As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
>> properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer
>> to the other photos. (tedious).
>>
>> Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do and
>> usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.  You do
>> need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in
>> order to do that - no big deal using exiftool.  (ie: your time zone
>> and the difference between "correct" time and the camera's time
>> (unless you sync'd it all before going out).
>>
>> Important note: GPS altitude ≠ altitude above sea level of where you
>> are as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.
>>

> I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
> relevant information is recorded.

That sounds like the hard way given what the OP wants to do.

The OP's issue is automated tagging his Oly phots.  Similar to me
tagging my SLR phots.  (Though I usually use an independent GPS recorder
I can also use my iPhone for that).

If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.

exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
-geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng

(Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
executing the command.  I keep a "template" of the command in a text
file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
name and let 'er rip).

Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.