From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck Filters
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 01:48:48 -0700
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Nov 5, 2017, Rich A wrote
(in article<7140d5ac-644a-491c-962f-f9ce75bc6724@googlegroups.com>):

> On Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 7:33:04 PM UTC-4, rwalker wrote:
> > Haven't checked in here in a long time. Greetings to all the
> > regulars. I've got a Vivitar cicular polarizer (77 mm) stuck to a
> > Firecrest IRND 18 sunfilter (77 mm). They seem to have become welded
> > together. Any advise on how to get them apart. Tried putting on some
> > heavy duty latex surgical gloves and seeing if that would give me a
> > better grip, but no use. Any suggestions?.
>
> Cast a flat piece of ice in the fringe, put one side of the filter on it for
> a few minutes. The one filter will shrink as it gets cold and possibly loosen
> up enough to screw off the other one.

Think about it. The only area you will be able to get to is going to be the
outer, or female thread which is trapping the innner, or male thread. Icing
it will cause contraction, making the connection even tighter. Hell! You
might as well have said, heat it with a butane torch, or spray it down with
WD40.

The actual answer is to get the right tool, a filter wrench. However,
sometimes that might not be available, so if you are going to improvise, do
so with a little thought.

<https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Filter-Wrench-Revie...

A non-filter wrench method is to take a nylon cable tie to use tightened
around the outside of the filter and use it like the wrench, that has worked
for me in a pinch, and doesn’t damage anything.

<http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Filter-wrench-from-Cable-Tie...

--

Regards,
Savageduck