From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck Filters
From: Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 09:50:03 -0500
On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 06:43:45 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:

>In article<llosvc522kjjna9i51nblj7lrhu1bteuab@4ax.com>,
> rwalker<rwalker@despammed.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 20:46:42 -0400, Ken Hart<kwhart1@frontier.com>
>> wrote:

>> >I once used a plumber's pipe wrench on a filter stuck on a lens. I
>> >mounted the lens in the workshop bench vise.
>> >Fortunately it was a filter I didn't care about. And while I cared about
>> >the lens, it was a common one and not too expensive.
>>
>> Interesting approach!
>
>the real thing is less than usd 2:
>
><https://www.ebay.com/sch/Filters/15216/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&...

Right, and if you want to wait for a few weeks for it to arrive from
China, it's a good deal.  Estimated delivery is between November 21st
and December 26th.

Adorama will get it to you faster, but they add shipping charges so
the total price is about $6.00.

I'd try the "hare-brained" methods first, though.  I have one of those
rubber strap wrenches that does not harm what it's used on, and it
applies even pressure.  First, though, heat it up with my wife's hair
dryer.

While I wouldn't begrudge the $2 or $6 expense, or even the delay in
getting the item if I had other lenses to work with, I don't need
another one-time tool around.  I doubt if a second filter will turn
out to need wrenching.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida