From: android <here@there.was>
Subject: Re: Stuck Filters
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 16:12:47 +0100
In article<927uvctm0c7qb82n6enke90jqfh9ls7ld9@4ax.com>,
 Tony Cooper<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 06:43:45 +0100, android<here@there.was> wrote:
>
> >In article<llosvc522kjjna9i51nblj7lrhu1bteuab@4ax.com>,
> > rwalker<rwalker@despammed.com> wrote:

> >> Interesting approach!
> >
> >the real thing is less than usd 2:
> >
> ><https://www.ebay.com/sch/Filters/15216/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&...
> >wrench&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1>
>

> Right, and if you want to wait for a few weeks for it to arrive from
> China, it's a good deal.  Estimated delivery is between November 21st
> and December 26th.
>
> Adorama will get it to you faster, but they add shipping charges so
> the total price is about $6.00.
>
> I'd try the "hare-brained" methods first, though.  I have one of those
> rubber strap wrenches that does not harm what it's used on, and it
> applies even pressure.  First, though, heat it up with my wife's hair
> dryer.

Soo... You'd risk them rubber gaskets in a USD 1K+ weather sealed lense
by overheating them just to save a few bucks... :-)) Should go into lens
MF. Cathingcathing!

> While I wouldn't begrudge the $2 or $6 expense, or even the delay in
> getting the item if I had other lenses to work with, I don't need
> another one-time tool around.  I doubt if a second filter will turn
> out to need wrenching.

If they get stuck once then they will probably get stuck again... You
could use some lube on the threads but be careful though not to overdo it
so that you get smear all over your gear every time you get near the
front of said lense!
--
teleportation kills