From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck Filters
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 07:35:43 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Nov 5, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in article<927uvctm0c7qb82n6enke90jqfh9ls7ld9@4ax.com>):

> On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 06:43:45 +0100, android<here@there.was>  wrote:
>
> > In article<llosvc522kjjna9i51nblj7lrhu1bteuab@4ax.com>,
> > rwalker<rwalker@despammed.com>  wrote:

> > > Interesting approach!
> >
> > the real thing is less than usd 2:
> >
> > <https://www.ebay.com/sch/Filters/15216/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&...
> > +wrench&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1>
>
> Right, and if you want to wait for a few weeks for it to arrive from
> China, it's a good deal. Estimated delivery is between November 21st
> and December 26th.
>
> Adorama will get it to you faster, but they add shipping charges so
> the total price is about $6.00.
>
> I'd try the "hare-brained" methods first, though. I have one of those
> rubber strap wrenches that does not harm what it's used on, and it
> applies even pressure. First, though, heat it up with my wife's hair
> dryer.
>
> While I wouldn't begrudge the $2 or $6 expense, or even the delay in
> getting the item if I had other lenses to work with, I don't need
> another one-time tool around. I doubt if a second filter will turn
> out to need wrenching.

I do not believe any of the hare-brained schemes are a good idea, unless you
have no regard for the filters, and/or lens.

Even though my strongest recommendation was to buy the filter wrenches from
B&H, Adorama, Amazon, or the photo store of your choosing. I have not yet had
the need to do that, as I have always had nylon cable ties handy, and I have
only had the problem twice some years ago. In both cases the improvised cable
tie wrench has worked perfectly, and those are available at all hardware, and
auto parts stores, and Walmart.

These days I take care in attaching filters making sure I don’t over
tighten, but if I do screw up, I always have those cable ties handy.

--

Regards,
Savageduck