From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck Filters
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 09:28:31 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <ccjsvcleg5vcdf3l0825fpkh6r9r0km3al@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FAE9263010C56327000079342CF@news.giganews.com> <r0nsvchgkduk9l282bmaapmadv4mbmckgj@4ax.com> <otln1h$aut$1@gioia.aioe.org> <llosvc522kjjna9i51nblj7lrhu1bteuab@4ax.com> <here-127D66.06434505112017@news.individual.net> <927uvctm0c7qb82n6enke90jqfh9ls7ld9@4ax.com> <here-66D736.16124705112017@news.individual.net> <gufuvcl52vu7u47qf7lkd6qqqlhd048isr@4ax.com>
On Nov 5, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in article<gufuvcl52vu7u47qf7lkd6qqqlhd048isr@4ax.com>):

> On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 16:12:47 +0100, android<here@there.was>  wrote:
>
> > In article<927uvctm0c7qb82n6enke90jqfh9ls7ld9@4ax.com>,
> > Tony Cooper<tonycooper214@gmail.com>  wrote:

> > > Right, and if you want to wait for a few weeks for it to arrive from
> > > China, it's a good deal. Estimated delivery is between November 21st
> > > and December 26th.
> > >
> > > Adorama will get it to you faster, but they add shipping charges so
> > > the total price is about $6.00.
> > >
> > > I'd try the "hare-brained" methods first, though. I have one of those
> > > rubber strap wrenches that does not harm what it's used on, and it
> > > applies even pressure. First, though, heat it up with my wife's hair
> > > dryer.
> >
> > Soo... You'd risk them rubber gaskets in a USD 1K+ weather sealed lense
> > by overheating them just to save a few bucks... :-)) Should go into lens
> > MF. Cathingcathing!
>
> If I had a UD $1,000 lens, I wouldn't be using a Vivitar filter on it.

I was thinking the same thing. Budget quality, aluminum frame filters are the
most susceptible to binding. That said not all aluminum construction filters
have the problem. It is a case of paying for that little extra bit of
quality, in materials, and construction. It is worth noting that even with
the better filter brands there are different quality grades.

--

Regards,
Savageduck