From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Inca Trail and Battery Charging
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 03:54:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Friday, 3 November 2017 15:12:32 UTC, -hh  wrote:
> On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 9:31:11 AM UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:
> > On Thursday, 2 November 2017 17:35:44 UTC, PeterN  wrote:
> > >
> > > Places to upload to the cloud prescriptively have power to
> > > recharge the batteries.
> >
> > But you won't find such a place at the top of machu picchu that is the point.
>
> As of a ~decade ago, the only establishment at the top was
> the Sanctuary Lodge.  There's been attempts to close it, but
> its reportedly still open:
>
> <https://www.belmond.com/hotels/south-america/peru/machu-picchu/belmo...
>
> I was able to find a simple room rate; a mere $650/night (+10% tax)
> which includes WiFi, but not breakfast.  The same room with full
> board is $1100/night (after the 10% tax) which is why most visitors
> choose instead to stay elsewhere (down in Aguas Calientes).

As the OP implied it's whether you have battery power for taking phosos is what's important.

> WiFi is technically available,

You can't use wifi to take photos.

>but the level of bandwidth
> needed for a significant data dump is the risk,

Yes if you get that far.

>and this
> IMO includes the town of Aguas Calientes.  Their only land
> connection to the outside world is the train line and their
> relevant communication lines are IMO probably along the same
> train route.  The rail has had semi-regular seasonal breaks
> in service from spring floods washing out a section, which
> would likely also take out their communication too, although
> when this does happen, the tourism is suspended.  Even so,
> when you have 5,000 tourists arriving back at their hotels
> each evening, the network is going to get crunched.

Yes that would also cause problems.

> As such, I'd be reluctant to assume that I'd be readily able
> to data dump from cards at this stop.  Sure, one may get
> lucky, but for planning purposes, I'd assume nothing more
> optimistic than having the first reasonably reliable backup
> opportunity (via an Internet Kiosk) probably won't be until
> returning back to Cuzco...

and depending on your data plan and speeds perhaps not viable at all.
But the most important thing to have is power no power no photos no backup nothing.