Subject: Re: Inca Trail and Battery Charging
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 06:52:23 -0800 (PST)
From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 6:54:32 AM UTC-5, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Friday, 3 November 2017 15:12:32 UTC, -hh  wrote:

> > > But you won't find such a place at the top of machu picchu
> > > that is the point.
> >
> > As of a ~decade ago, the only establishment at the top was
> > the Sanctuary Lodge.  There's been attempts to close it, but
> > its reportedly still open:
> >
> > <https://www.belmond.com/hotels/south-america/peru/machu-picchu/belmo...
> >
> > I was able to find a simple room rate; a mere $650/night (+10% tax)
> > which includes WiFi, but not breakfast.  The same room with full
> > board is $1100/night (after the 10% tax) which is why most visitors
> > choose instead to stay elsewhere (down in Aguas Calientes).
>
> As the OP implied it's whether you have battery power for taking
> phosos is what's important.

There's multiple points of failure to manage; battery is merely
one necessary component of the overall system workflows, as is
also the sufficiency of the recording media, getting it safely
home from the remote site, etc.

> > WiFi is technically available,
>
> You can't use wifi to take photos.

True, but it is part of a potential workflow to "get the
photos back home".  Not the only solution, but merely one
option of several.  Could also use a microSD attached to
the leg of a homing pigeon.

> >and this
> > IMO includes the town of Aguas Calientes.  Their only land
> > connection to the outside world is the train line and their
> > relevant communication lines are IMO probably along the same
> > train route.  The rail has had semi-regular seasonal breaks
> > in service from spring floods washing out a section, which
> > would likely also take out their communication too, although
> > when this does happen, the tourism is suspended.  Even so,
> > when you have 5,000 tourists arriving back at their hotels
> > each evening, the network is going to get crunched.
>
> Yes that would also cause problems.

FYI, same problem also happens on cruise ships.

 -hh