Subject: Re: Geotagging app
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 11:33:03 -0500
On 11/4/2017 5:17 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2017-11-04 10:55, PeterN wrote:
>>>
>>> Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx,
>>> .log (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.  But do check that it
>>> supports altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.
>>>
>>> Google Play is the source.
>>> This looks promising:
>>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.ge...
>>>

>>> I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not
>>> available for Android.

>>> As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
>>> properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer
>>> to the other photos. (tedious).
>>>
>>> Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do
>>> and usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.  You
>>> do need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in
>>> order to do that - no big deal using exiftool.  (ie: your time zone
>>> and the difference between "correct" time and the camera's time
>>> (unless you sync'd it all before going out).
>>>
>>> Important note: GPS altitude ≠ altitude above sea level of where you
>>> are as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.
>>>

>> I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone.
>> All relevant information is recorded.
>
> That sounds like the hard way given what the OP wants to do.

That well may be. For a lot of images it would be a PITA. I do
geotagging primarily so I can come back to the location, and/or let my
friends know the location. I started doing that after I saw some great
potential shots, but was unable to stop. I have been unable to locate
that area on Google, and I was unable to transfer the locations from my
car's GPS.
A few weeks ago we were just going for a ride, looking for possible fall
foliage shots. I quickly realized that I was a few days early, so I took
some iPhone shots, for general location purposes only.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/awo5errl9x8hojw/Photo%20Oct%2021%2C%201%20...

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/11bsk8ervy7nofb/Photo%20Oct%2021%2C%204%20...

Unfortunately we had a Nor'easter, that blew away the leaves. But at
lease I can look in that area next year.

> The OP's issue is automated tagging his Oly phots.  Similar to me
> tagging my SLR phots.  (Though I usually use an independent GPS recorder
> I can also use my iPhone for that).
>
> If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
> the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
> tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.
>
> exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
> -geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng
>
> (Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
> executing the command.  I keep a "template" of the command in a text
> file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
> name and let 'er rip).
>
> Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
> tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.

Agreed. If geotagging all of my images was important to me, I would
attach a GPS gadget to my camera.

--
PeterN