From: android <here@there.was>
Subject: Re: Geotagging app
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 17:57:43 +0100
In article <061120171117376554%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
 nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <otq1id$ko7$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Mayayana
><mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>

> > | Do your iPhone have a gyroscope? If not then it's obsolete for pinpoint
> > | accuracy navigation!
> >
> >  Don't allow cellphones have a gyroscope if they allow
> > for changing orientation? And why is that needed
> > for altitude? I assumed the iPhone was calling some
> > service that uses the cell towers (or satellite?) for
> > the data.
>
> as usual, you assume wrong.
>
> iphones have a gps, which can show altitude if it's tracking 4 or more
> gps satellites, just as any gps would.
>
> a gyro is not relevant.

It sure is! But it could be broken or other factors of this obsolete
design called iPhone 6 could have come into play...

> >    But you know more than I do.
>
> many people do.
>
> >    I don't use an iPhone
> > and can't imagine caring about altitude data for photos.
> > As I said, this was not my phone. It was a friend taking
> > pictures with an iPhone 6. Have you tested with your
> > own phone for altitude accuracy?

My phone, an Xperia M4 don't have a gyroscope. It's about the only thing
of substance that it miss, and RAM...

> it depends on gps reception.

Youpp, and on the 58th parallel we do have another tilt on most
satellites. They are closer to the horizon, unless they are in closer to
polar orbit. The ESA Galileo system is probably more tailored to our
needs with more satellites higher on the horizon further north:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Galileo_sat_constallation.gif>

Navstar:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GPS24goldenSML.gif>

The Russian Glosnav is another good complement to Navstar and Galileo.
Android phones uses all three systems simultaneously but dedicated
system based on TomTom and Garmin seem to use Navstar exclusively and
have therefore a longer standalone startup time...

All together here:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_%28satellite_navigation%29#/me...
File:Comparison_satellite_navigation_orbits.svg>
--
teleportation kills