From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Inca Trail and Battery Charging
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 09:05:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Monday, 6 November 2017 14:52:27 UTC, -hh  wrote:
> On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 6:54:32 AM UTC-5, Whisky-dave wrote:

> > > As of a ~decade ago, the only establishment at the top was
> > > the Sanctuary Lodge.  There's been attempts to close it, but
> > > its reportedly still open:
> > >
> > > <https://www.belmond.com/hotels/south-america/peru/machu-picchu/belmo...
> > >
> > > I was able to find a simple room rate; a mere $650/night (+10% tax)
> > > which includes WiFi, but not breakfast.  The same room with full
> > > board is $1100/night (after the 10% tax) which is why most visitors
> > > choose instead to stay elsewhere (down in Aguas Calientes).
> >
> > As the OP implied it's whether you have battery power for taking
> > phosos is what's important.
>
> There's multiple points of failure to manage; battery is merely
> one necessary component of the overall system workflows,

Yes but it is the one the OP was asking about, he never said what is the best memoery card to use or
how many or what camera did he.

> as is
> also the sufficiency of the recording media, getting it safely
> home from the remote site, etc.

No point doing that if you don't have power.

> > > WiFi is technically available,
> >
> > You can't use wifi to take photos.
>
> True, but it is part of a potential workflow to "get the
> photos back home".

Without power you wouldn't be able to taqke the photos in the first place.

> Not the only solution, but merely one
> option of several.  Could also use a microSD attached to
> the leg of a homing pigeon.

But without power they'd be nothing on the microSD card but you might be able to have the pigeon for
lunch over an open fire even without electricity.

> > >and this
> > > IMO includes the town of Aguas Calientes.  Their only land
> > > connection to the outside world is the train line and their
> > > relevant communication lines are IMO probably along the same
> > > train route.  The rail has had semi-regular seasonal breaks
> > > in service from spring floods washing out a section, which
> > > would likely also take out their communication too, although
> > > when this does happen, the tourism is suspended.  Even so,
> > > when you have 5,000 tourists arriving back at their hotels
> > > each evening, the network is going to get crunched.
> >
> > Yes that would also cause problems.
>
> FYI, same problem also happens on cruise ships.

I don;t think so most cruise ships have charging points in the cabins, but up the top of a mountain
not very likely.

 That is the point.