From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck Filters
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 13:27:46 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Nov 6, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<otqb0n0l5s@news4.newsguy.com>):

> On 11/6/2017 12:21 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On Nov 6, 2017, PeterN wrote
> > (in article<otpvla02a2u@news7.newsguy.com>):
> >
> > > On 11/5/2017 1:11 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> >
> > <<Snip>>

> > > Yep.
> > > The only filters I now use are: ND; variable ND; CP; and a variable fog.
> > > I carry filter wrenches in my bag at all times, although I haven't had a
> > > stuck filter in over ten years.
> >
> > When it comes to screw on filters I have ND, CPF, and only one Variable ND.
> > have not been impressed with the variable ND, and it doesn’t get that much
> > use. Most recently I bought a few of the Hoya Solas IRND filters.
> >
> > <https://hoyafilterusa.com/product/hoya-solas-irnd-2/>
>
> The variable ND allows me to compose without having to attach the filter
> later.

That was my intention. However, I found that the Vari ND is susceptible to
many of the issues that can be found with a CPF if you have the wrong angle
of incidence. The worst of these is the cross polarization phenomenon. That
is something which doesn’t happen with an ND, or ND Grad.

> I only use the fixed ND when it is very bright. It is a ten stop.

A 10 stop ND is a pretty serious ND, you should only need it if you are
trying to slow down the shutter speed for a long exposure, smooth out water
in waterfalls, or surf, or add movement to clouds, and/or if you are trying
to control DoF, especially if shooting wide open in bright light.

With a 10 stop ND you will not be able to focus with the filter in place, so
you should be focusing manually, and then attach the 10 ND filter. With screw
on ND filters I have 2 stop, 4 stop, and 9 stop. I cannot focus with the 9
stop in place. I have a 10 stop Lee.

Also if it is very bright, there are other steps you can take rather than
resorting to a 10 stop ND, consider shooting at ISO 100, or ISO 200 and st a
higher shutter speed, along with a more reasonable ND, somewhere in the 2-6
stop area.

> In another post I mentioned that I was advised by B&H not to purchase an
> item. It was any of the Lee type filters. I had wanted to get a
> graduated ND filter. Watchagonnado.

What “Lee type filters”?
There are Lee filters, and there are other square, and rectangular filter
systems from other manufacturers, all of different quality. The most
ubiquitous and least expensive are the Cokin resin filters. Perhaps it was a
case of the B&H rep understanding that the square and/or rectangular filter
systems were not suitable for your type of shooting.

BTW: You can get screw on grad filters, I have a few of those

--

Regards,
Savageduck