From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Windows 10. Horrible!
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 01:52:36 -0800 (PST)
<ota72v$a08$1@dont-email.me> <otaa0u01gl1@news4.newsguy.com>
<MPG.34630c823612378998cef3@news.supernews.com> <otbah6$10c3$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<otbuml$qkc$1@dont-email.me> <otchr5$v4h$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<otcslc$do7$1@dont-email.me> <85a3c925-23ef-4c09-b30a-9c1bfbbf2292@googlegroups.com>
<otf9e1$1kd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <bd0d2f62-eacf-4dc4-ab83-b46e6398757a@googlegroups.com>
<otfkge$ppg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b699e45b-faea-48ac-b84f-692b8f9d638a@googlegroups.com>
<othskk$146l$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b222c236-570a-4e3d-83b3-7bd91886fa23@googlegroups.com>
<MPG.3466fea7effc29b998cef6@news.supernews.com> <otipsu$15ms$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<0f4e1412-65e0-4862-9eef-a89a9c53912c@googlegroups.com> <here-AD761B.13140506112017@news.individual.net>
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Monday, 6 November 2017 12:14:14 UTC, android  wrote:
> In article<0f4e1412-65e0-4862-9eef-a89a9c53912c@googlegroups.com>,
>  Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Looking at device shipments
> >
> > Android     54.16%
> > iOS/macOS   12.37%
> > Windows     11.79%
> > Other 	    21.66%
> > OS Device Shipments, Gartner[21]
>
> It's really not fair nor useful to compare mobile devices and tabs with
> proper PCs.

what's a proper PC  and why not if people like my brother are using a tablet rather than their PC.

> PCs empower the GP while tabs 'n pads depower it.

No they don't.

>No solution at all for
> those that want to do more than read webmail and communicate with HMHS
> and such,

of which there are fewer and fewer.

What about teh millions of PCs sitting on hotel reception and all they do is log who;'s currenty
occupying the rooms.

What about the 10 tabs we brought so we could registar the students in a classroon rathe rthan
having to send them all in a qute to a central room to registar their attendance. Is it really
better to have ONE PC or 10 tabs to do the same job. The tabs were cheap £50 kindles, so far
cheaper than having ONE PC operated by ONE person with 400 odd students queueing for registaration.

>sort of . Phones are gadgets on the side, useful on the go but
> do not replace PCs...

Phones are phones, PCs are PCs.
It is far easier for us to get the students to photograph their hardware with a phone than with a PC.
When the studetsn come and ask me for device X or Y they show me on their phone what sot of thing
they are looking for I don;t want them brining in their desktop PC into the lab.