From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck Filters
Full headers:
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 15:53:49 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <ccjsvcleg5vcdf3l0825fpkh6r9r0km3al@4ax.com> <rb0tvchepq6vj5t7ineq6t5q995vrh9qok@4ax.com> <3p3tvc5q9mds2j1vju6q40n86u88ms25qb@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FAED4FD011BF2327000079342CF@news.giganews.com> <otpvla02a2u@news7.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FB0D1920193246A700006E012CF@news.giganews.com> <otqb0n0l5s@news4.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FB10B5201A0AD47700006E012CF@news.giganews.com> <otstch02d2i@news4.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FB23B110031E64A70000C23F2CF@news.giganews.com> <ottei502p62@news4.newsguy.com>
On Nov 7, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<ottei502p62@news4.newsguy.com>):

> On 11/7/2017 2:03 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On Nov 7, 2017, PeterN wrote
> > (in article<otstch02d2i@news4.newsguy.com>):

> > > Before I got the variable ND, I used tow polarized filters, one linear
> > > and the other my CP. It worked fine a lot of the time. But, under
> > > certain lighting conditions there was internal flare. Also, unlike good
> > > quality ND filters, polarizing filters can cause a color shift.
> > >
> > > I use a Heliopan.
> > > <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765517-REG/Heliopan_707790_77...
> > > io_Neutral_Density.html>

> > > Spot on. BTW there are other methods for smoothing water. multiple
> > > exposure works fine. You can get a nice silky effect from many
> > > waterfalls by shooting 1/5 to 1/50 of a second, depending on conditions
> > > and your taste.

> > > The sales rep made it clear that no plastic filter would give me the
> > > satisfactory results.
> >
> > As much as the sales rep was helpful, this might have been one area where
> > his knowledge was limited by personal bias, or limited knowledge of the latest
> > advances in filter tech.
>
> I think most of use form conclusions based upon our life experiences.

I suspect that was what happened in this case.

> > Not all the rectangular/square filters are ‘plastic’, and the quality of
> > the optical resin, not plastic filters used by the best of those systems are
> > pretty good, and those systems should not suffer a blanket condemnation
> > because of a sales ref’s opinion. They provide a solution where none
> > exists for screw on filters.
> >
> > Consider these ‘glass' filters made by Lee &  others:
> >
> > <http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/proglass-nd>
> >
> > <http://www.formatt-hitech.com>
> >
> > <http://en.nisifilters.com/square-nd-filters>
> >
> > With what you do do some of your images in post, how would you tell if you
> > got a satisfactory result, or not?
>
> Whether I like them.

However, in the case of RAW, or SOOC images from any of your Nikon DSLRs,
regardless of whether a filter is used, you seldom determine that those are
‘satisfactory results’ for you, until you have appliedpost processing.
That post processing of yours would in many instances negate the effect of
any on camera filter. At least that is what we have come to expect from those
images you have shared. So mostly they only become images you like after the
application of your particular post processing magic.

> > > Yes, his suggestive was that I go back to an old wet darkroom method.
> > > Dodge the really light areas, using black cardboard or my hands. There
> > > is a lot of trial and error, but it works. After a while I got a sense
> > > of how long to dodge. And with the dynamic range of my camera,
> > > corrections can be made in post.
> >
> > When was this?
>
> A few years ago

I thought as much. That was a non-digital mind giving you advice. Sometimes
it doesn’t translate directly.

> > > They work great, if you like every image to have a similar look, and
> > > shooting conditions are always the same. The square graduated filters
> > > can be move vertically, within limits.
> >
> > That is the reason I don’t carry them as a regular part of my kit.

> > > As we determined long ago, we have very different shooting styles, and
> > > tastes.
> >
> > True. However, there are some areas where some understanding, use of, and
> > experimentation with equipment is shared.
> Hope so.

;-)

--

Regards,