> Prev
From: Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
Subject: Timestamp confusion
From: Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 15:58:06 +0000
I'm sorting out holiday photos (JPG) and movies (MOV) from Italy in May.
Mainly from my iPhone 6S+. As I use these for making videos, I'm keen to
get their rough roughly correct. But I'm confused by some apparent
contradictions about timestamps. In an attempt to resolve these, amongst
other things I'm looking at the iPhone's EXIF data. Here's an example of
where I hit a snag:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j6luq2xtgi7paf/EXIFvGPS-1.jpg?dl=0

That 'DateTimeOriginal' of 11:28 seems reliable. Not only is it obtained
directly from the iPhone's Date/Time setting (which was correct
throughout the holiday) but a photo of a church clock the day before was
accurate within a minute or so.

But this was Italy in 'summer time'. So local Italy time should be two
hours ahead of GMT, yes? Therefore why is the GPS Timestamp 10:28
instead of 09:28?

Here's a similar issue for an MOV video clip,, using MediaInfo for my
detective work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yn8kjs3badl8ap/TimeConfusion-2.jpg?dl=0

Needless to say, I should have taken photos of my watch or iPhone screen
more often - will do so in future!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK