From: Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
Subject: Re: Timestamp confusion
Full headers:
From: Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 12:02:11 +0000
Terry Pinnell<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>I'm sorting out holiday photos (JPG) and movies (MOV) from Italy in May.
>Mainly from my iPhone 6S+. As I use these for making videos, I'm keen to
>get their rough roughly correct. But I'm confused by some apparent
>contradictions about timestamps. In an attempt to resolve these, amongst
>other things I'm looking at the iPhone's EXIF data. Here's an example of
>where I hit a snag:
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j6luq2xtgi7paf/EXIFvGPS-1.jpg?dl=0
>
>That 'DateTimeOriginal' of 11:28 seems reliable. Not only is it obtained
>directly from the iPhone's Date/Time setting (which was correct
>throughout the holiday) but a photo of a church clock the day before was
>accurate within a minute or so.
>
>But this was Italy in 'summer time'. So local Italy time should be two
>hours ahead of GMT, yes? Therefore why is the GPS Timestamp 10:28
>instead of 09:28?
>
>Here's a similar issue for an MOV video clip,, using MediaInfo for my
>detective work:
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yn8kjs3badl8ap/TimeConfusion-2.jpg?dl=0
>
>Needless to say, I should have taken photos of my watch or iPhone screen
>more often - will do so in future!
>
>Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Alternatively, does anyone have any photos taken in 'summer' time on an
iPhone in a time zone ahead of UK, such as mainland Europe etc? If so,
can you advise what these two EXIF fields say please?
Date TimeOriginal
GPS Date Timestamp

That might help me fathom why my iPhone shows these as only differing by
one hour instead of two. My wife's Sony Xperia (Android OS) does show
two.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK