Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 13:08:47 -0500
On 11/9/2017 9:03 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article<D6KdneGjAP9axpnHnZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne
><alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>> meanwhile, the rest of the world wants to do actual work, not open
>>> up their computer and swap parts all day long.
>>
>> The usual asshat reply from nospam.   People don't "swap parts all day
>> long".  They do it when needed from time to time.
>
> actually, they don't. the vast majority of users have someone else
> repair their computer, just as they do with their cars, tvs and other
> products.
>
>> When a drive is failing, failed or not large enough it is trivial to
>> remove and replace.  About 10 minutes with most desktops.
>
> only if someone has the skills and tools.

Most people I know have the necessary screwdrivers. If not, they are
available at their local hardware store, for very little money. It is
trivial to open the box and add a drive, or memory. I have someone else
do it, because of a physical limitation. When I tell a repair guy what I
want, and stand there and watch, the time to repair is short, and the
price is very reasonable.

> while readers of usenet might, the general public is not going to open
> up a computer to swap a hard drive.

>> On a current iMac it can easily take an hour or more.  Tedious.  And no
>> reason to make it so difficult other than the Apple aesthetic.
>
> the reason is that opening a computer is rarely done, if ever, and
> optimizing for that scenario stupid.

By that reasoning, all PC box manufacturers and assemblers, including HP
and Dell are run by stupid people.

> it makes a lot more sense to optimize a computer for every day use,
> versus something that *might* happen.
>
> some cars have the battery in the wheel well, requiring a wheel to be
> removed just to swap the battery. since car batteries usually last 5-10
> years, that's a very good design decision.

Ah! more vague advice from the world's best industrial designer.

--
PeterN