From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:58:17 -0500
References: <1qr10d1nttcgmsir625081u794r4l2reau@4ax.com> <6750d7c4-50cc-4f40-9030-3aacecc13fa2@googlegroups.com> <03440dda6e5s08tqcj1gjq6j3doqn8bcet@4ax.com> <05a0795f-2675-4fca-9a6b-68c7aef637ed@googlegroups.com> <ter60dpcvombdurjdsakhbrhrbq9nj2qnp@4ax.com> <081120172249276644%nospam@nospam.invalid> <quv70d5tm13ls076ede48c748nrt7oo7g9@4ax.com> <091120170749009827%nospam@nospam.invalid> <D6KdneGjAP9axpnHnZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <091120170903187290%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ou25jh02sur@news4.newsguy.com>
In article<ou25jh02sur@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN
<"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:

> >> The usual asshat reply from nospam.   People don't "swap parts all day
> >> long".  They do it when needed from time to time.
> >
> > actually, they don't. the vast majority of users have someone else
> > repair their computer, just as they do with their cars, tvs and other
> > products.
> >
> >> When a drive is failing, failed or not large enough it is trivial to
> >> remove and replace.  About 10 minutes with most desktops.
> >
> > only if someone has the skills and tools.
>
> Most people I know have the necessary screwdrivers. If not, they are
> available at their local hardware store, for very little money. It is
> trivial to open the box and add a drive, or memory.

trivial for you and me.

trivial for the average consumer, not so much.

> I have someone else
> do it, because of a physical limitation.

so it doesn't actually matter. you're making my point.

> When I tell a repair guy what I
> want, and stand there and watch, the time to repair is short, and the
> price is very reasonable.

not all repairs are that quick and not all places will let you watch.

try that at an auto repair shop.

> > while readers of usenet might, the general public is not going to open
> > up a computer to swap a hard drive.

^^^^^

> >> On a current iMac it can easily take an hour or more.  Tedious.  And no
> >> reason to make it so difficult other than the Apple aesthetic.
> >
> > the reason is that opening a computer is rarely done, if ever, and
> > optimizing for that scenario stupid.
>
> By that reasoning, all PC box manufacturers and assemblers, including HP
> and Dell are run by stupid people.

pretty much, and a very accurate assessment of dell.

hp has a few interesting products, such as the spectre and yoga, but
otherwise, it's the same old boring stuff.

> > it makes a lot more sense to optimize a computer for every day use,
> > versus something that *might* happen.
> >
> > some cars have the battery in the wheel well, requiring a wheel to be
> > removed just to swap the battery. since car batteries usually last 5-10
> > years, that's a very good design decision.
> >
> Ah! more vague advice from the world's best industrial designer.

more insults and there's nothing vague about it.