Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,I
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 15:53:26 -0500
On 2017-11-09 08:51, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 November 2017 13:44:50 UTC, Alan Browne  wrote:
>> On 2017-11-09 07:49, nospam wrote:
>>

>>> meanwhile, the rest of the world wants to do actual work, not
>>> open up their computer and swap parts all day long.
>>
>> The usual asshat reply from nospam.   People don't "swap parts all
>> day long".  They do it when needed from time to time.
>>
>> When a drive is failing, failed or not large enough it is trivial
>> to remove and replace.  About 10 minutes with most desktops.
>
> And most people don;t have desktops and even if they do an external
> drive can be plugged in and used in far less than 10 mins and without
> the use of any tools.

Sub optimal performance, however.  Although with newer serial
interfaces, less so.

IAC I suspect my next Mac will be 100% SSD.

>> On a current iMac it can easily take an hour or more.  Tedious.
>> And no reason to make it so difficult other than the Apple
>> aesthetic.
>
> Which lots of people prefer otherwise they'd be buying PC desktops
> wouldn't they.

I'm on my 2nd iMac (and have various Macbooks/Airs here and at work).
I replaced the HD in less than an hour on the first one.  Under
warranty.  It was too much hassle to go through the Apple repair
service.  (evaluation, estimate, repair: 5 - 10 business days.  Screw that).

2nd iMac I'd budget 2 hours and I'd have iFixIt send me the gasket kit
first.

When I had PC's (including laptops) it took 10 - 15 minutes.  Tops.  Did
that many times over the years.

The fact that my iMac has a very thin bezel and looks nifty actually
contributes nothing to what it does for me as a computer.  Since they
located the HD near the back shell it would have been trivial to have a
port there that could be opened.  But they don't.  (They do for RAM).

That said I don't see ever going back to a Windows PC.  Linux as a
desktop environment is a disaster.

I could rebel and load Mac OS on a high end PC, but that brings a
maintenance "load" with it best left by the side of the road.