Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 15:59:40 -0500
On 2017-11-09 09:03, nospam wrote:
> In article<D6KdneGjAP9axpnHnZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan
> Browne<alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>> meanwhile, the rest of the world wants to do actual work, not
>>> open up their computer and swap parts all day long.
>>
>> The usual asshat reply from nospam.   People don't "swap parts all
>> day long".  They do it when needed from time to time.
>
> actually, they don't. the vast majority of users have someone else
> repair their computer, just as they do with their cars, tvs and
> other products.

A nonsense reply of convenience.

Having it so a user can maintain and repair it doesn't prevent people
from getting it repaired elsewhere.

>> When a drive is failing, failed or not large enough it is trivial
>> to remove and replace.  About 10 minutes with most desktops.
>
> only if someone has the skills and tools.

A couple screwdrivers.  The skills are fairly low end and there a
gazillion sites showing how to do it elsewise.  IOW another nonsense
reply of convenience from you.

> while readers of usenet might, the general public is not going to
> open up a computer to swap a hard drive.

Perhaps.  But why not make it easier for those who will.  Indeed make it
easier for the "pros" (including Apple) who do it?  Again and again your
replies are nonsense convenience reasons.

>> On a current iMac it can easily take an hour or more.  Tedious.
>> And no reason to make it so difficult other than the Apple
>> aesthetic.
>
> the reason is that opening a computer is rarely done, if ever, and
> optimizing for that scenario stupid.

Not at all.  Many things are designed for maintainability and capability
growth w/o making them more expensive.  It's your usual nonsense reply
of convenience.

> it makes a lot more sense to optimize a computer for every day use,
> versus something that *might* happen.
>
> some cars have the battery in the wheel well, requiring a wheel to
> be removed just to swap the battery. since car batteries usually last
> 5-10 years, that's a very good design decision.

No, it's a horrible decision.  Batteries here rarely last 5 years due to
the harsh winters.  Having to remove a wheel to even examine a battery
for its condition is absolute stupidity.  I see why you admire it.