From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <03440dda6e5s08tqcj1gjq6j3doqn8bcet@4ax.com> <05a0795f-2675-4fca-9a6b-68c7aef637ed@googlegroups.com> <ter60dpcvombdurjdsakhbrhrbq9nj2qnp@4ax.com> <081120172249276644%nospam@nospam.invalid> <quv70d5tm13ls076ede48c748nrt7oo7g9@4ax.com> <091120170749009827%nospam@nospam.invalid> <D6KdneGjAP9axpnHnZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <091120170903187290%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ou25jh02sur@news4.newsguy.com> <091120171358179270%nospam@nospam.invalid>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:39:01 +1300
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:58:17 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> > actually, they don't. the vast majority of users have someone else
>> > repair their computer, just as they do with their cars, tvs and other
>> > products.

>> > only if someone has the skills and tools.
>>
>> Most people I know have the necessary screwdrivers. If not, they are
>> available at their local hardware store, for very little money. It is
>> trivial to open the box and add a drive, or memory.
>
>trivial for you and me.
>
>trivial for the average consumer, not so much.
>
>> I have someone else
>> do it, because of a physical limitation.
>
>so it doesn't actually matter. you're making my point.
>
>> When I tell a repair guy what I
>> want, and stand there and watch, the time to repair is short, and the
>> price is very reasonable.
>
>not all repairs are that quick

No, some machines are not designed to give the repairer rapid access.

> ... and not all places will let you watch.
>
>try that at an auto repair shop.
>
>> > while readers of usenet might, the general public is not going to open
>> > up a computer to swap a hard drive.
>
>^^^^^

>> > the reason is that opening a computer is rarely done, if ever, and
>> > optimizing for that scenario stupid.
>>
>> By that reasoning, all PC box manufacturers and assemblers, including HP
>> and Dell are run by stupid people.
>
>pretty much, and a very accurate assessment of dell.

They must be doing something right. They have twice the market share
of Apple. See http://tinyurl.com/hoz6vdg or
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/04/11/apple-grows-to-74-of-worl...

Apart from that Dell does make computers with tool-free access.

>hp has a few interesting products, such as the spectre and yoga, but
>otherwise, it's the same old boring stuff.
>
>> > it makes a lot more sense to optimize a computer for every day use,
>> > versus something that *might* happen.
>> >
>> > some cars have the battery in the wheel well, requiring a wheel to be
>> > removed just to swap the battery. since car batteries usually last 5-10
>> > years, that's a very good design decision.
>> >
>> Ah! more vague advice from the world's best industrial designer.
>
>more insults and there's nothing vague about it.

It's not relevant though.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens