From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
Full headers:
From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:23:14 -0500
<xMudnUWk6ecgXJnHnZ2dnUU7-QfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
On 11/09/2017 03:59 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2017-11-09 09:03, nospam wrote:

snip

>> it makes a lot more sense to optimize a computer for every day use,
>> versus something that *might* happen.
>>
>> some cars have the battery in the wheel well, requiring a wheel to
>> be removed just to swap the battery. since car batteries usually last
>> 5-10 years, that's a very good design decision.
>
> No, it's a horrible decision.  Batteries here rarely last 5 years due to
> the harsh winters.  Having to remove a wheel to even examine a battery
> for its condition is absolute stupidity.  I see why you admire it.

I can think of a half dozen people who are glad my Ford F-150 doesn't
require removing the wheel for access to the battery. Those half dozen
people are also glad I carry jumper cables to jump start their cars.

Making machines easy to service is a smart design decision, and not
always mutually exclusive with making machines optimum for everyday use.

(OTOH, I replaced my original equipment truck battery at eight years
here in southwest Indiana!)

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com