From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 20:46:05 -0500
References: <1qr10d1nttcgmsir625081u794r4l2reau@4ax.com> <6750d7c4-50cc-4f40-9030-3aacecc13fa2@googlegroups.com> <03440dda6e5s08tqcj1gjq6j3doqn8bcet@4ax.com> <05a0795f-2675-4fca-9a6b-68c7aef637ed@googlegroups.com> <ter60dpcvombdurjdsakhbrhrbq9nj2qnp@4ax.com> <081120172249276644%nospam@nospam.invalid> <quv70d5tm13ls076ede48c748nrt7oo7g9@4ax.com> <091120170749009827%nospam@nospam.invalid> <D6KdneGjAP9axpnHnZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <091120170903187290%nospam@nospam.invalid> <xMudnUWk6ecgXJnHnZ2dnUU7-QfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
In article<xMudnUWk6ecgXJnHnZ2dnUU7-QfNnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne<alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

> >> The usual asshat reply from nospam.   People don't "swap parts all
> >> day long".  They do it when needed from time to time.
> >
> > actually, they don't. the vast majority of users have someone else
> > repair their computer, just as they do with their cars, tvs and
> > other products.
>
> A nonsense reply of convenience.
>
> Having it so a user can maintain and repair it doesn't prevent people
> from getting it repaired elsewhere.

most people don't do their own repairs, so making that easy to do is a
feature they'll never actually use.

> >> When a drive is failing, failed or not large enough it is trivial
> >> to remove and replace.  About 10 minutes with most desktops.
> >
> > only if someone has the skills and tools.
>
> A couple screwdrivers.  The skills are fairly low end and there a
> gazillion sites showing how to do it elsewise.  IOW another nonsense
> reply of convenience from you.

the only nonsense replies are from you, who repeatedly resort to
insults.

you're assuming everyone is a geek. most people are not, and even those
who are geeks don't always want to open up computers to repair them.

i know quite a few people who make a *lot* of money making house calls
to upgrade user's hard drives, install software, set up a new computer,
etc., for both mac and windows systems.

> > it makes a lot more sense to optimize a computer for every day use,
> > versus something that *might* happen.
> >
> > some cars have the battery in the wheel well, requiring a wheel to
> > be removed just to swap the battery. since car batteries usually last
> > 5-10 years, that's a very good design decision.
>
> No, it's a horrible decision.  Batteries here rarely last 5 years due to
> the harsh winters.  Having to remove a wheel to even examine a battery
> for its condition is absolute stupidity.  I see why you admire it.

not everywhere has harsh winters, but regardless, the vehicle owner
takes it to the shop, the battery is replaced and they pick it up later
in the day.

it's exactly the same procedure no matter where in the vehicle the
battery is located.