From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
Full headers:
X-Received: by 10.55.163.193 with SMTP id m184mr2174103qke.12.1510313454260;
Fri, 10 Nov 2017 03:30:54 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.31.165.204 with SMTP id o195mr671612vke.4.1510313454103;
Fri, 10 Nov 2017 03:30:54 -0800 (PST)
Path: news.netfront.net!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!q33no156679qta.0!news-out.google.com!r5ni1155qtc.1!nntp.google.com!q33no156678qta.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 03:30:53 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <d--dnUg3KYbbXZnHnZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=138.37.90.65; posting-account=Fal3rgoAAABua4brvRuRwdmPfigIDi6x
NNTP-Posting-Host: 138.37.90.65
References: <1qr10d1nttcgmsir625081u794r4l2reau@4ax.com> <6750d7c4-50cc-4f40-9030-3aacecc13fa2@googlegroups.com>
<03440dda6e5s08tqcj1gjq6j3doqn8bcet@4ax.com> <05a0795f-2675-4fca-9a6b-68c7aef637ed@googlegroups.com>
<ter60dpcvombdurjdsakhbrhrbq9nj2qnp@4ax.com> <081120172249276644%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<quv70d5tm13ls076ede48c748nrt7oo7g9@4ax.com> <091120170749009827%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<D6KdneGjAP9axpnHnZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <fbdffff3-c37a-4cbf-8b13-c0d782d73e5d@googlegroups.com>
<d--dnUg3KYbbXZnHnZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <ce75fb67-9190-456f-929c-49dae61fff56@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Injection-Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:30:54 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Lines: 92
Print Article
Forward Article
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 20:53:34 UTC, Alan Browne  wrote:
> On 2017-11-09 08:51, Whisky-dave wrote:
> > On Thursday, 9 November 2017 13:44:50 UTC, Alan Browne  wrote:
> >> On 2017-11-09 07:49, nospam wrote:
> >> 
> >>> 
> >>> meanwhile, the rest of the world wants to do actual work, not
> >>> open up their computer and swap parts all day long.
> >> 
> >> The usual asshat reply from nospam.   People don't "swap parts all
> >> day long".  They do it when needed from time to time.
> >> 
> >> When a drive is failing, failed or not large enough it is trivial
> >> to remove and replace.  About 10 minutes with most desktops.
> > 
> > And most people don;t have desktops and even if they do an external
> > drive can be plugged in and used in far less than 10 mins and without
> > the use of any tools.
> 
> Sub optimal performance, however.  Although with newer serial 
> interfaces, less so.

I think my USB 3 is faster than IDE.
And thinderbolt even faster.

> 
> IAC I suspect my next Mac will be 100% SSD.

My present one is because I wasn't too keen on fusion drives options.

 
> >> On a current iMac it can easily take an hour or more.  Tedious.
> >> And no reason to make it so difficult other than the Apple
> >> aesthetic.
> > 
> > Which lots of people prefer otherwise they'd be buying PC desktops
> > wouldn't they.
> 
> I'm on my 2nd iMac (and have various Macbooks/Airs here and at work). 
> I replaced the HD in less than an hour on the first one.  Under 
> warranty.  It was too much hassle to go through the Apple repair 
> service.  (evaluation, estimate, repair: 5 - 10 business days.  Screw that).
 
That would be annoying but I doubt MS would be any quicker and wouldn't do it anyway not sure how
long Dell or any other PC repairer would take.


> 2nd iMac I'd budget 2 hours and I'd have iFixIt send me the gasket kit 
> first.
> 
> When I had PC's (including laptops) it took 10 - 15 minutes.  Tops.  Did 
> that many times over the years.

yes we have people employed to fix PC partly because we have more but mostly because PCs go wrong
and need parts far more regulary.
In the end you get what you pay for.
 More people go to mcdonalds than michiline style resturants and that IS NOT because of stupidity of
either or because mcdonalds does the best food.
Some eat to live while others live to eat.
Some will drive a car others will get driven.


 
> The fact that my iMac has a very thin bezel and looks nifty actually 
> contributes nothing to what it does for me as a computer.

Well a painting on the wall does nothing for me, niether do photos on the wall.
Having a car that can do 0-60 in 2.2 seconds would do little in getting me to work earlier than a
car with a 0-60 of 12 seconds.


  Since they 
> located the HD near the back shell it would have been trivial to have a 
> port there that could be opened.  But they don't.  (They do for RAM).

Why can;t PCs have a port liem you say, why do you have to have a scredriver to take the side panels
off, then take the 4 screws out supporting the drive ?
if it's such a great idea how comes yuo have to open up PCs ?

 
> That said I don't see ever going back to a Windows PC.  Linux as a 
> desktop environment is a disaster.

Yes sometimes you just get ised top things working ;-)

It does seem that of those that use unix and say how good it is spend most of their time keeping it
running adn trying to optimise it to do one or two tasks.


> I could rebel and load Mac OS on a high end PC, but that brings a 
> maintenance "load" with it best left by the side of the road.

Yep but I can easily run windows on a Mac and in most cases it runs better on a mac than a PC, if
yuo get a windows virus just delete the disc image, copy the previous one back and restart no
reinstallation necessary.


I wonder why a Mac was used to create the startup sound of a PC.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2011/11/23/brian-eno-spills-windows-st...