From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Jupiter photos
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:26:58 -0500
"Whisky-dave"<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote

| It;s not willy nilly when they have the information that tells you what
the colours mean. It's like staining cells in biology at school there's a
reason for doing it and it's not for artistic perception of reality.

  Take a look here:

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing

  They invite you to download photos and upload your
own version. Some are more subtle. Some are wild.
Where do you draw the line? It's a scientific photo if it's
tastefully done and it's an art project if it looks like a
Peter Max poster? Both are made up. It's basically
a 6th-grade art project.

  Staining a slide is done to increase the visibility of
structures. In that scenario the color itself is not
relevant and one knows that it's not accurate. Colorizing
NASA photos is done to make them look more interesting
aesthetically and spark the imagination. Entertaining
space fantasies might help to increase public support
of NASA.

"Junocam is on the spacecraft explicitly to reach out to the public and
share the excitement of space exploration."

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11214-014-0079-x

  NASA are trying to increase interest by making
it all look more intriguing. As someone interested in
science I find that misleading and devaluing. I can
see how many people might think it's simply fun,
like an artist's rendering of how they imagine trceratops
might have been adorned with war paint-like stripes.
But they should make it clear that these are doctored
photos with made-up colors. That's all I'm saying.
Separate the science from the entertainment. It's
not as though we need an artist's rendering. The whole
point is that they have actual photos of the planet.