From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 07:53:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Friday, 10 November 2017 07:04:33 UTC, Eric Stevens  wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 20:46:04 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:

> >> They must be doing something right. They have twice the market share
> >> of Apple.
> >
> >market share doesn't matter and apple doesn't chase it anyway.
> >
> >apple, with it's supposedly 'low market share', is on the verge of
> >becoming the first *trillion* dollar company, while hp, with 'twice the
> >market share of apple', is but a tiny fraction of apple, currently
> >about $35b.
> >
> >if anyone is doing something right, it's apple.
>
> But it's not with desktop PCs.

How have you worked that one out ?

> >also keep in mind that most of hp and dell sales are corporate
> >contracts, not end users, which is a totally different market segment,
> >something those who mindlessly spout market share numbers fail to
> >understand.
>
> A desktop computer sold is a desktop computer sold. It doesn't really
> matter who the buyer is.

It does if you're trying to work out what people prefer it is key.
from about 1994 the head of department banned the purchase of mac because Apple were going out of
business, so we in teching weren't allowed to buy Macs.
Those doing research that had grants told him we will buy what we want and they kept buying macs,
mostly laptops.