Subject: Re: Jupiter photos
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "David B." <DavidB@nomail.afraid.invalid>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 16:59:11 +0000
On 10/11/2017 03:09, Rich A wrote:
> On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 4:23:36 AM UTC-5, David B. wrote:
>> "Traveling above Jupiter at more than 130,000 miles per hour, NASA's $1
>> billion Juno probe took its ninth set of stunning flyby images on
>> October 24. But the sun slipped between the giant planet and Earth for
>> more than a week, blocking the spacecraft from beaming home its precious
>> bounty of data.
>>
>> Now that the conjunction is over, however, new raw image data from
>> Juno's ninth perijove — as the spacecraft's high-speed flybys are called
>> — has poured in. Researchers posted it all online on Tuesday, and a
>> community of amateurs and professionals has been busily processing the
>> data to yield colorful and stunning new pictures of Jupiter."
>>
>> http://www.sci-techuniverse.com/2017/11/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-pro...
>>
>> Fascinating images. Enjoy! :-)
>>
>> --
>> David B.
>
> Why have we seen no real close-ups?  Any image where you can clearly see the planet is round is
from a distance.  Have they had no probes crash but take a few images on the way down?

This link posted earlier in this thread by Davoud shows MUCH better images:-

<https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/images/index.html>

I suspect, though, that without me raising the matter with my initial
post, he wouldn't have offered the readers here HIS link! ;-)

--
David B.