From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Ripe Apples
Full headers:
From: Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <quv70d5tm13ls076ede48c748nrt7oo7g9@4ax.com> <091120170749009827%nospam@nospam.invalid> <D6KdneGjAP9axpnHnZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <091120170903187290%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ou25jh02sur@news4.newsguy.com> <091120171358179270%nospam@nospam.invalid> <3gl90d98dnuu5d5ba9057trc23dl1k5pi3@4ax.com> <091120172046047375%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sija0d53o5r79g5mnr874akap2os3qo2vh@4ax.com> <3c609a5e-e54d-41b6-86ce-b2522dda4bae@googlegroups.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:14:46 +1300
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 07:53:36 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, 10 November 2017 07:04:33 UTC, Eric Stevens  wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 20:46:04 -0500, nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid>
>> wrote:

>> >market share doesn't matter and apple doesn't chase it anyway.
>> >
>> >apple, with it's supposedly 'low market share', is on the verge of
>> >becoming the first *trillion* dollar company, while hp, with 'twice the
>> >market share of apple', is but a tiny fraction of apple, currently
>> >about $35b.
>> >
>> >if anyone is doing something right, it's apple.
>>
>> But it's not with desktop PCs.
>
>How have you worked that one out ?

Sticking with subject of Dell vs Apple the data in the following link
(previously deleted by nospam) explains why I made that remark.

"They must be doing something right. They have twice the market share
of Apple. See http://tinyurl.com/hoz6vdg or
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/04/11/apple-grows-to-74-of-worl...

>> >also keep in mind that most of hp and dell sales are corporate
>> >contracts, not end users, which is a totally different market segment,
>> >something those who mindlessly spout market share numbers fail to
>> >understand.
>>
>> A desktop computer sold is a desktop computer sold. It doesn't really
>> matter who the buyer is.
>
>It does if you're trying to work out what people prefer it is key.
>from about 1994 the head of department banned the purchase of mac because Apple were going out of
business, so we in teching weren't allowed to buy Macs.
>Those doing research that had grants told him we will buy what we want and they kept buying macs,
mostly laptops.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens