From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Cheap SD Cards
Full headers:
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 18:59:35 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Nov 17, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in article<nc6v0dlf34jddgvv0panolsfcu3ukgv746@4ax.com>):

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:25:29 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>  wrote:
>
> > On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
> > (in article<oun6h0026ev@news3.newsguy.com>):

> > > D800, and a Delkin Black. I complained to Delkin. They are sending me a
> > > reader, and requested that I test the card with that reader. The shot
> > > you see is a ten shot multiple exposure. I was testing to see how much
> > > time was needed between shots, to get a similar effect to a long
> > > exposure. despite the corruption, my conclusion is that it can be done.
> > > In a calm bay it takes about 2.5 seconds between each shot, for a ten
> > > shot exposure.
> >
> > What is a Delkin Black?
> >
> > Delkin Black is meaningless, all that tells us is who the manufacturer is.
> > What is the actual read/write speed of the card?
> >
> > Also, because you have somewhat explained what you were doing with multiple
> > exposures, I suspect that this was just a slow card choking on what was
> > being
> > fed it, and unable to clear the camera buffer. I have a feeling that if you
> > just used it to shoot a single exposure there might be no problem at all. If
> > you are going to use a high performance camera, you should use high
> > performance cards regardless of how tempting it might be to go the budget
> > card route.
>
> I agree with this - I doubt that card corruption or partial failure
> was the cause of the issue he had.

I believe the first thing to establish is what the specs of the SD card are.

Delkin produce good products including SD and CF cards. However, they produce
SD cards with a wide range of specs and prices, some are truly fast cards
with corresponding higher prices. Since Peter, in his subject line, and his
OP narative hinted that the SD card in question was “cheap”, I am
inclined to assume that this card has slow read/write specs. Hence the
corruption problems when faced with a high performance camera trying to clear
the buffer as fast as it can, into a card which can’t write fast enough.

--

Regards,
Savageduck