Subject: Re: Cheap SD Cards
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete">
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:56:35 -0500
On 11/17/2017 9:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2017, Bill W wrote
> (in article<>):
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:25:29 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}>  wrote:
>>> On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
>>> (in article<>):
>>> What is a Delkin Black?
>>> Delkin Black is meaningless, all that tells us is who the manufacturer is.
>>> What is the actual read/write speed of the card?
>>> Also, because you have somewhat explained what you were doing with multiple
>>> exposures, I suspect that this was just a slow card choking on what was
>>> being
>>> fed it, and unable to clear the camera buffer. I have a feeling that if you
>>> just used it to shoot a single exposure there might be no problem at all. If
>>> you are going to use a high performance camera, you should use high
>>> performance cards regardless of how tempting it might be to go the budget
>>> card route.
>> I agree with this - I doubt that card corruption or partial failure
>> was the cause of the issue he had.
> I believe the first thing to establish is what the specs of the SD card are.
> Delkin produce good products including SD and CF cards. However, they produce
> SD cards with a wide range of specs and prices, some are truly fast cards
> with corresponding higher prices. Since Peter, in his subject line, and his
> OP narative hinted that the SD card in question was “cheap”, I am
> inclined to assume that this card has slow read/write specs. Hence the
> corruption problems when faced with a high performance camera trying to clear
> the buffer as fast as it can, into a card which can’t write fast enough.

The D800 is not a high speed camera, especially when using SD.
While I did not do the research myself, the information about SD being
slower came from a Lexar engineer, who I met. When shooting at the
highest speed SD is definitely slower than CF, on my D800. When I called
Delkin, the seemed to think it was my reader that was causing the problem.