Subject: Re: "Pinhole S" on Kickstarter!
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:42:36 -0500
On 11/17/2017 7:58 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Friday, 17 November 2017 08:02:52 UTC-8, Ken Hart  wrote:

>>> Strange term pinhole for a 5mm or so hole ;-)
>>>
>>> I remmeber the days when a pinhole was made with a pin.
>>>

>> Just my guess, but my first thought was that the actual pinhole was
>> behind the visible 5mm or so hole. I wouldn't think you could get the
>> level of sharpness seen in the samples with a 5mm hole.
>>
>>> Nice idea, but I'll still have to find one of my body caps, maybe I should just buy a box of 10
and have done with it !

>>> I'm hoping to find some hidden where the other socks of the pair have gone.

>> --
>> Ken Hart
>> kwhart1@frontier.com
>
> f/128 is the right diameter for a given sensor size, as I recall, but that's a guess.  Precision
pinholes cost money (consult a professional optics house) and if they aren't precision, various
unwanted aberrations can creep in, notably, irregular diffraction.

The right diameter will vary with sensor size and the distance from the
hole to the sensor. Irregular diffraction will occur if the hole is not
round. Besides, some diffraction is part of the beauty of a soft focus
pinhole.

--
PeterN