From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Cheap SD Cards
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:49:12 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <oulin401gbs@news3.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FBE94060316BB0D70000F3722CF@news.giganews.com> <oun1590236i@news3.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FBF4C3D0341E77C70000F3722CF@news.giganews.com> <oun6h0026ev@news3.newsguy.com> <0001HW.1FBFB579035A917070000A50D2CF@news.giganews.com> <nc6v0dlf34jddgvv0panolsfcu3ukgv746@4ax.com> <0001HW.1FBFD9970363085A70000A50D2CF@news.giganews.com> <oupoo507pb@news3.newsguy.com>
On Nov 18, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article<oupoo507pb@news3.newsguy.com>):

> On 11/17/2017 9:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On Nov 17, 2017, Bill W wrote
> > (in article<nc6v0dlf34jddgvv0panolsfcu3ukgv746@4ax.com>):

> > > I agree with this - I doubt that card corruption or partial failure
> > > was the cause of the issue he had.
> >
> > I believe the first thing to establish is what the specs of the SD card are.
> >
> > Delkin produce good products including SD and CF cards. However, they
> > produce SD cards with a wide range of specs and prices, some are truly fast cards
> > with corresponding higher prices. Since Peter, in his subject line, and his
> > OP narative hinted that the SD card in question was “cheap”, I am
> > inclined to assume that this card has slow read/write specs. Hence the
> > corruption problems when faced with a high performance camera trying to
> > clear the buffer as fast as it can, into a card which can’t write fast enough.
>
> The D800 is not a high speed camera, especially when using SD.
> While I did not do the research myself, the information about SD being
> slower came from a Lexar engineer, who I met. When shooting at the
> highest speed SD is definitely slower than CF, on my D800.

Strange, there should only be a speed difference if you are using different
rated CF and SD cards. I never had that speed differential issue with my
D300S which is two years older than your D800.

> When I called Delkin, the seemed to think it was my reader that was causing the problem.

Focus shift, move the blame to the user.

Have you had an issue reading any other SD cards?

Have you tried to shoot single exposures using that card?

--

Regards,
Savageduck