From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Thread shows how DSLR's have fallen compared to mirrorless
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 16:39:43 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Nov 19, 2017, RichA wrote
(in article<739f0e77-eeed-403b-bf6c-d7bb96210871@googlegroups.com>):

> Shooting with a DSLR, trying to manually focus with an OVF and controlling
> blur-inducing problems caused by mirror-slap and the like is trying to say
> the least.
> Nikon's focus confirmation works pretty well, but not as well as using a
> magnified image in a top-grade EVF. 40+mp on a DSLR might not be the smartest
> thing to go with if an equivalent mirrorless is available and you want the
> sharpest image. Of course, DSLR's still have the best focusing for a moving
> subject and action, but then no action shot ever makes full use of top pixel
> counts anyway. Put it another way, you just paid $3500 for a lens capable and
> built for resolution, why sabotage it down to the level of a $400 lens?
>
> https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60396923

Regardless of the technical details of that article and subsequent debate, I
can only speak to my experience.

With my old SLR’s with focus screen and/or split-image, and rangefinders
with traditional split-image focusing I was quite happy to have nothing but
manual focus.

Then came my various compacts, and DSLRs with autofocus none of which
provided manual focus I felt I could truly rely on.So with my Nikon DSLRs,
Fuji E900, and Canon G11 I always used AF, and never considered MF. Nturally
I had my fair share of rejects due to bad AF focus acquisition.

Then I moved to Fujifilm mirrorless with EVF where manual assist is,Peak
Focusing or electronic split-image. My preference is for Peak focusing which
make manual focusing very accurate, and a breeze, and now that I can rely on
that accuracy, I find that I really enjoy using manual focus. With my
X-series mirrorless, EVF cameras, when I am not pressed for time, I find that
it is simple to confirm AF by checking with manual override peak focus when I
have AF+MF set in shooting preferences.

I am sure that AF in newer DSLRs such as the D500, or D850 is superb, but I
have been spoilt with what an EVF delivers these days.

--

Regards,
Savageduck