From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Thread shows how DSLR's have fallen compared to mirrorless
Full headers:
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 17:53:51 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Nov 19, 2017, Neil wrote
(in article <out9g5$l0i$1@dont-email.me>):

> On 11/19/2017 7:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 2017, RichA wrote
> > (in article<739f0e77-eeed-403b-bf6c-d7bb96210871@googlegroups.com>):
> >
> > > Shooting with a DSLR, trying to manually focus with an OVF and controlling
> > > blur-inducing problems caused by mirror-slap and the like is trying to say
> > > the least.
> > > Nikon's focus confirmation works pretty well, but not as well as using a
> > > magnified image in a top-grade EVF. 40+mp on a DSLR might not be the
> > > smartest
> > > thing to go with if an equivalent mirrorless is available and you want the
> > > sharpest image. Of course, DSLR's still have the best focusing for a moving
> > > subject and action, but then no action shot ever makes full use of top
> > > pixel
> > > counts anyway. Put it another way, you just paid $3500 for a lens capable
> > > and
> > > built for resolution, why sabotage it down to the level of a $400 lens?
> > >
> > > https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60396923
> >
> > Regardless of the technical details of that article and subsequent debate, I
> > can only speak to my experience.
> >
> > With my old SLR’s with focus screen and/or split-image, and rangefinders
> > with traditional split-image focusing I was quite happy to have nothing but
> > manual focus.
> >
> > Then came my various compacts, and DSLRs with autofocus none of which
> > provided manual focus I felt I could truly rely on.So with my Nikon DSLRs,
> > Fuji E900, and Canon G11 I always used AF, and never considered MF. Nturally
> > I had my fair share of rejects due to bad AF focus acquisition.
> >
> > Then I moved to Fujifilm mirrorless with EVF where manual assist is,Peak
> > Focusing or electronic split-image. My preference is for Peak focusing which
> > make manual focusing very accurate, and a breeze, and now that I can rely on
> > that accuracy, I find that I really enjoy using manual focus. With my
> > X-series mirrorless, EVF cameras, when I am not pressed for time, I find
> > that
> > it is simple to confirm AF by checking with manual override peak focus when
> > have AF+MF set in shooting preferences.
> >
> > I am sure that AF in newer DSLRs such as the D500, or D850 is superb, but I
> > have been spoilt with what an EVF delivers these days.
> IMO, it's a more complex problem than EVF resolution. Throughout the
> '70s I was doing a lot of video production. Video cameras had EVFs at
> comparatively very low resolution (640x480), but that didn't hamper
> manual focus in the least. The video cams' EVFs also displayed exposure
> and other image qualities via "zebra stripes" and such. By comparison,
> digital cameras with EVFs were useless toys to me because they lacked
> these sophistications from decades earlier.

I have never been a video shooter, and even now that I have 4K available in
the X-T2 video is the least of my priorities.

My first experience with an EVF was a Nikon Coolpix 5700. That had a tiny,
and barely functional EVF, and I very quickly decided that generation of EVF
was not for me, so I made the move to DSLR, and back to OVF. I was also still
shooting film in an SLR, and a rangefinder with manual focus only back then.

> Another issue along those lines is that the video cameras had zoom
> lenses, not the varifocal lenses that came with the digital cameras.
> Varifocals are a PITA, and since manual focus lenses work(ed) so poorly
> on those cameras (DSLRs included) the overall experience was a real
> turn-off for me.

As I have said, I am primarily a still photographer, not video, and these
days I find myself shooting primes, and using MF as much as I use AF
depending on circumstances, and subject matter. AF-C is pretty much a default
for any kind of action photography of any type for me.

Today I have several prime lenses where my absolute preference is to use
manual focus via EVF with the focus aids such as digital split-image, and
focus peaking (my prefered MF method) Fujifilm provides me.

I am still not a fan of manual focus with any of my DSLRs, but I can see
where it would be valuable in macro photography with techniques such as focus
stacking, and utilization of a focus rail come into play.

--

Regards,
Savageduck