Subject: Re: Thread shows how DSLR's have fallen compared to mirrorless
From: Neil <neil@myplaceofwork.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 21:11:04 -0500
On 11/19/2017 8:53 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2017, Neil wrote
> (in article <out9g5$l0i$1@dont-email.me>):
>
>> On 11/19/2017 7:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>>> On Nov 19, 2017, RichA wrote
>>> (in article<739f0e77-eeed-403b-bf6c-d7bb96210871@googlegroups.com>):

>>> Regardless of the technical details of that article and subsequent debate, I
>>> can only speak to my experience.
>>>
>>> With my old SLR’s with focus screen and/or split-image, and rangefinders
>>> with traditional split-image focusing I was quite happy to have nothing but
>>> manual focus.
>>>
>>> Then came my various compacts, and DSLRs with autofocus none of which
>>> provided manual focus I felt I could truly rely on.So with my Nikon DSLRs,
>>> Fuji E900, and Canon G11 I always used AF, and never considered MF. Nturally
>>> I had my fair share of rejects due to bad AF focus acquisition.
>>>
>>> Then I moved to Fujifilm mirrorless with EVF where manual assist is,Peak
>>> Focusing or electronic split-image. My preference is for Peak focusing which
>>> make manual focusing very accurate, and a breeze, and now that I can rely on
>>> that accuracy, I find that I really enjoy using manual focus. With my
>>> X-series mirrorless, EVF cameras, when I am not pressed for time, I find
>>> that
>>> it is simple to confirm AF by checking with manual override peak focus when
>>> have AF+MF set in shooting preferences.
>>>
>>> I am sure that AF in newer DSLRs such as the D500, or D850 is superb, but I
>>> have been spoilt with what an EVF delivers these days.
>> IMO, it's a more complex problem than EVF resolution. Throughout the
>> '70s I was doing a lot of video production. Video cameras had EVFs at
>> comparatively very low resolution (640x480), but that didn't hamper
>> manual focus in the least. The video cams' EVFs also displayed exposure
>> and other image qualities via "zebra stripes" and such. By comparison,
>> digital cameras with EVFs were useless toys to me because they lacked
>> these sophistications from decades earlier.
>
> I have never been a video shooter, and even now that I have 4K available in
> the X-T2 video is the least of my priorities.

The point I was trying to make is that functional EVF technology
pre-existed digital still cameras by decades, so there was no excuse for
the way they were implemented.

> My first experience with an EVF was a Nikon Coolpix 5700. That had a tiny,
> and barely functional EVF, and I very quickly decided that generation of EVF
> was not for me, so I made the move to DSLR, and back to OVF. I was also still
> shooting film in an SLR, and a rangefinder with manual focus only back then.

I was primarily an SLR user, Olympus OM1 & OM4, Leica R5, and Rolleiflex
TLR, later a 6008i (in hopes of a decent digital back being available),
all with prime lenses. Those are the standards that I compare with
digital options, and have yet to find one I like.

OTOH, there are several P&S cams that I think are decent. I took my Oly
TG-4 to the Galapagos last year and got many shots that would not have
been easy with a DSLR.

--
best regards,

Neil