From: Dimitris Tzortzakakis <noone@nospam.com>
Subject: Re: Fake SD cards
From: Dimitris Tzortzakakis <noone@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 16:01:12 +0200
Στις 21/11/2017 3:32 μμ, ο Whisky-dave έγραψε:

>   On the BBC last night Fake Britain (at the end)  they were talking about a large number of fake
SD cards these ones had sandisk labeled and the hologram didn't look right.  On investigation it was
found that the 64GB sold were actually 16GB but had been hacked so they reported a capacity of 64GB
but on using them the files either overwrote themselves or didn't right at all.
> One method that was used to test the files was just duplicating an image on them multiple times,
some images had missing data or corruption while others didn't appear at all.

> So it might be worth doing this to chack any new cards brought just in case.
>
> They didn't give much info on what they did so it wasn't exactly an in depth study and the card
that was brought wasn't the cheapest 64GB either so you can;t always go by price.

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011f8m5
>

> [OT]
> also an bit on fake xenon car headlamps with phillips and osram labels that could just die on you
and another started to overheat and started smoking after a few mins.

>   Not that I'm likely to buy any of those, but SD cards...

Of course, the fake headlamps are much more dangerous than the SD cards,
not if you're a pro, though, and your living depends on them...I learned
that there are even fake 1TB drives, they have a normal 1TB casing, and
inside there are some heavy bolts, and a very small and cheap
thumpdrive!Everything works ok for the first few MBs, and then nothing!
Also in many reputable manufacturers the quality of many parts has
fallen dramatically. A client of mine had a Miele microwave oven, that
was a wedding present, and cost 450 euros, and upon opening it
everything was made in China!The PCB, the magnetronm the
transformer!While Miele was a company that had a reputation for good
quality, robust parts all made in Germany!(For people not familiar to this, almost all household appliances
outsource for most of the parts as it's impossible to set a factory for
every part, at least in Europe. I don't know
what happens in the states, though).And I realized that it had a major manufacturing error,
if you tried to press the button that opened the door, while the door
was already open , the lock jammed, and to ujamm it you had to
practically overhaul the oven! And the Miele washing machine we had, had
another yet manufacturing error, the door didn't seal completely, the
soap water escaped, shorted out a switch, and the machine wouldn't
start!And that needed replacing every year!Finally we trashed it and
bought a Pitsos, with all the features and only 360 euros!Another yet
client of mine had a Neff oven, for which the blow motor was chinese!and
after only a couple of years, it seized, so it needed replacing, at
least the (generic) spare part was italian!and goes without saying that
to save manufacturing costs, none of the screws were stainless stell so
they all had rosted through...

---
http://www.avg.com