From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fake SD cards
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:10:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 14:01:18 UTC, Dimitris Tzortzakakis  wrote:
> Στις 21/11/2017 3:32 μμ, ο Whisky-dave έγραψε:
> >
> >   On the BBC last night Fake Britain (at the end)  they were talking about a large number of
fake SD cards these ones had sandisk labeled and the hologram didn't look right.  On investigation
it was found that the 64GB sold were actually 16GB but had been hacked so they reported a capacity
of 64GB but on using them the files either overwrote themselves or didn't right at all.
> > One method that was used to test the files was just duplicating an image on them multiple times,
some images had missing data or corruption while others didn't appear at all.

> > So it might be worth doing this to chack any new cards brought just in case.
> >
> > They didn't give much info on what they did so it wasn't exactly an in depth study and the card
that was brought wasn't the cheapest 64GB either so you can;t always go by price.

> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011f8m5
> >

> > [OT]
> > also an bit on fake xenon car headlamps with phillips and osram labels that could just die on
you and another started to overheat and started smoking after a few mins.

> >   Not that I'm likely to buy any of those, but SD cards...
> >
> Of course, the fake headlamps are much more dangerous than the SD cards,
> not if you're a pro, though, and your living depends on them...I learned
> that there are even fake 1TB drives,

There's fake eggs in china too and fake rice.
The problem now with fake imports that they can't easily be seen as fakes by checking spelliong and
te4h quality of the packaging.

>they have a normal 1TB casing, and
> inside there are some heavy bolts, and a very small and cheap
> thumpdrive!Everything works ok for the first few MBs, and then nothing!
> Also in many reputable manufacturers the quality of many parts has
> fallen dramatically.

yes another problem.

> A client of mine had a Miele microwave oven, that
> was a wedding present, and cost 450 euros, and upon opening it
> everything was made in China!The PCB, the magnetronm the
> transformer!While Miele was a company that had a reputation for good

quality, robust parts all made in Germany!(For people not familiar to this, almost all household appliances
> outsource for most of the parts as it's impossible to set a factory for
> every part, at least in Europe. I don't know

what happens in the states, though).And I realized that it had a major manufacturing error,
> if you tried to press the button that opened the door, while the door
> was already open , the lock jammed, and to ujamm it you had to
> practically overhaul the oven! And the Miele washing machine we had, had
> another yet manufacturing error, the door didn't seal completely, the
> soap water escaped, shorted out a switch, and the machine wouldn't
> start!And that needed replacing every year!Finally we trashed it and
> bought a Pitsos, with all the features and only 360 euros!Another yet
> client of mine had a Neff oven, for which the blow motor was chinese!and
> after only a couple of years, it seized, so it needed replacing, at
> least the (generic) spare part was italian!and goes without saying that
> to save manufacturing costs, none of the screws were stainless stell so
> they all had rosted through...

How do you know it was a Miele product ?

With the xenon bulbs two experts needed to look at the pacaging, with the SD cards it was a little
easier as the hologram didn't look right according to the expert do you know what a sandisk hologram
looks like or should look like ?
 Do you have the test gear or would you bother checking an SD card or HD or SSD ?