Subject: Re: Fake SD cards
Full headers:
From: David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 19:44:59 +0000
On 21/11/2017 13:32, Whisky-dave wrote:

>   On the BBC last night Fake Britain (at the end)  they were talking about a large number of fake
SD cards these ones had sandisk labeled and the hologram didn't look right.  On investigation it was
found that the 64GB sold were actually 16GB but had been hacked so they reported a capacity of 64GB
but on using them the files either overwrote themselves or didn't right at all.
> One method that was used to test the files was just duplicating an image on them multiple times,
some images had missing data or corruption while others didn't appear at all.

> So it might be worth doing this to chack any new cards brought just in case.
>
> They didn't give much info on what they did so it wasn't exactly an in depth study and the card
that was brought wasn't the cheapest 64GB either so you can;t always go by price.

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011f8m5
>

> [OT]
> also an bit on fake xenon car headlamps with phillips and osram labels that could just die on you
and another started to overheat and started smoking after a few mins.

>   Not that I'm likely to buy any of those, but SD cards...

A test I have found very helpful in detecting potentially fake cards is:

   https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

The dialogues have an English option.  It reports the read & write
speeds too.

--
Cheers,
David