From: android <here@there.was>
Subject: Re: Fake SD cards
Full headers:
From: android <here@there.was>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:55:46 +0100
In article <ov3vva$t4j$1@dont-email.me>,
 Dimitris Tzortzakakis<noone@nospam.com> wrote:

> ÉΑÉ―É«ς 21/11/2017 3:32 μμ, ο Whisky-dave έγραψε:
> >
> >   On the BBC last night Fake Britain (at the end)  they were talking about
> >   a large number of fake SD cards these ones had sandisk labeled and the
> >   hologram didn't look right.  On investigation it was found that the 64GB
> >   sold were actually 16GB but had been hacked so they reported a capacity
> >   of 64GB but on using them the files either overwrote themselves or didn't
> >   right at all.
> > One method that was used to test the files was just duplicating an image on
> > them multiple times, some images had missing data or corruption while
> > others didn't appear at all.
> >
> > So it might be worth doing this to chack any new cards brought just in
> > case.
> >
> > They didn't give much info on what they did so it wasn't exactly an in
> > depth study and the card that was brought wasn't the cheapest 64GB either
> > so you can;t always go by price.
> >
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011f8m5
> >

> > [OT]
> > also an bit on fake xenon car headlamps with phillips and osram labels that
> > could just die on you and another started to overheat and started smoking
> > after a few mins.
> >
> >   Not that I'm likely to buy any of those, but SD cards...
> >
> Of course, the fake headlamps are much more dangerous than the SD cards,
> not if you're a pro, though, and your living depends on them...I learned
> that there are even fake 1TB drives, they have a normal 1TB casing, and
> inside there are some heavy bolts, and a very small and cheap
> thumpdrive!Everything works ok for the first few MBs, and then nothing!
> Also in many reputable manufacturers the quality of many parts has
> fallen dramatically. A client of mine had a Miele microwave oven, that
> was a wedding present, and cost 450 euros, and upon opening it
> everything was made in China¹IThe PCB, the magnetronm the
> transformer!While Miele was a company that had a reputation for good
> quality,¹@robust¹@parts¹@all¹@made¹@in¹@Germany!(For¹@people¹@not¹@familiar¹@t
> o¹@this,¹@almost¹@all¹@household¹@appliances
> outsource for most of the parts as it's impossible to set a factory for
> every part, at least in Europe. I don't know
> what¹@happens¹@in¹@the¹@states,¹@though).And¹@I¹@realized¹@that¹@it¹@had¹@a¹@m
> ajor¹@manufacturing¹@error,
> if you tried to press the button that opened the door, while the door
> was already open , the lock jammed, and to ujamm it you had to
> practically overhaul the oven! And the Miele washing machine we had, had
> another yet manufacturing error, the door didn't seal completely, the
> soap water escaped, shorted out a switch, and the machine wouldn't
> start!And that needed replacing every year!Finally we trashed it and
> bought a Pitsos, with all the features and only 360 euros!Another yet
> client of mine had a Neff oven, for which the blow motor was chinese!and
> after only a couple of years, it seized, so it needed replacing, at
> [...]

There is this thingy free to use download:

<https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539>

Since that page is in Jerry I've quoted some of the README for you. It
does have an English interface. Runs on my Mac throug the Wine
libraries.

Caught me a bad Lexar that I ordered from a Ebay vendor in England.
Youp! The price was toooo good!

"H2testw was developed to test USB sticks for various kinds of errors.

It can also be used for any other storage media like memory cards,

internal and external hard drives and even network volumes.

The executable file H2testw.exe needs no installation and can be

directly run. It was developed for Windows XP and Vista. It should

also work under Windows 2000 but was only tested on XP and Vista.

Windows 9x/ME is not supported. You can use the older command line

program H2test under these operating systems."
--
teleportation kills