From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fake SD cards
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 02:49:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>
On Monday, 27 November 2017 08:40:26 UTC, anon...@internet.none  wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 16:01:12 +0200, Dimitris Tzortzakakis
><noone@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > On the BBC last night Fake Britain (at the end)  they were talking about a large number
> > of fake SD cards
>
> This is not nothing new.

It is new because these cards aren't being sold much cheaper as people eventually become aware that
buying a cheap product means it could be a fake some are avioding buying teh super cheap SD cardfs
and going for those with all the holigrams but appear slightly cheaper or perhaps 'special deals'.
In other words you canlt detect a fake SD card from it's price point.

>  Quite a few years ago, I bought ten 2gb flash
> drives on ebay. When I got them, they said 2GB on their body. But once
> inserted, I found that they are all 1gb.

The SD I was refering to will allow you to record as much as you want on the 16GB card labled as
64GB, all it does is overwrite itself which woukld be difficult to detet until you got home.

> I complained, the seller issued
> a refund and told me to keep them. They did work ok, but they were only
> 1gb, yet labeled as 2gb.

That's OK if they reported full at 1GB.

> Was that intentional, or just a factory screwup
> in labeling? And I do wonder why the seller had not noticed this before
> selling them.

Perhaps he knew.

> But with a refund and 10 usable 1gb drives for no cost, I
> did not complain any further.

Maybe he was still making a profit as few noticed.

> Just recently I bought a 160gb IDE internal hard drive on ebay. One of
> those "white label" drives which it said were made by major
> manufacturers, just not given the Manufacturer labels.  I was just
> looking for a cheap drive for an old computer, so I bought it. When I
> got it, it was labeled 160gb, but it was actually only a 40gb drive. I
> confirmed that using special software that looks at the platters and so
> on. Again, I complained. The seller refunded my money and told me to
> keep the drive. A 40gb drive is pretty useless these days,

A 160GB isn't much better.

> but maybe one
> of them old clunker computers in my garage can be made to run Windows 98
> or something like that, and some kid can play games on it.

I doubt any kid will want to play on a computer that old, a decent phone will have far better games
and be far less trouble.

> I wont even consider buying another "white label" drive after that
> experience. I ended up buying a BRAND NEW Seagate 250gb drive for nearly
> triple what I paid for that white label one, but at least I know what
> I'm getting, and its a little larger in size too.
>
> I am not blaming ebay for this. I buy lots of stuff from ebay and am
> usually pleased, but there are some bad sellers, and computer drives
> seem to be the problem area.

Amonst other areas, electronics can be risky too, a lecturer here brought a couple of ipod nanos 8GB
but they were reflashed 2GB versions.
Trouble is he only found this out at chritmas while the kids were loading their songs onto them,
sending them back to china for a refund was the option but not great fun for the kids at christmas,
so he just went out and brought two proper nano's .
Which is a reason we avoid ebay for ordering for the college especaily for students.